Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sally Gardner

annis
Bibliomaniac

Sally Gardner

Post by annis » Thu January 27th, 2011, 3:20 am

Both boys and girls would probably like Sally Gardner's French Revolution series- The Red Necklace and The Silver Blade. I recently did a review of The Red Necklace for Margaret. The stories are historical with a touch of fantasy - Gardner's style channels the classic dark fairytale. I found her use of language and imagery quite striking and enjoyed the innate theatrical sensibility she brings to her work. I see the movie option for both books was bought up last year by British actor Dominic West, and think they'd translate well into either film or TV series.‬

The red necklace of the story is doubtless inspired by the ones worn by French fashionistas after the end of the “Reign of Terror”, in gruesome remembrance of the guillotine’s victims. The narrow red ribbon choker represented the severed neck and inset red stones were also sometimes added to represent beads of blood. These chokers were worn by both men and women, particularly at special Victim’s Balls(Bals des victimes)‬

Portrait of a young woman wearing one of these red necklaces. She looks as if she's also gone for another fashion trend of the time - lashings of white powder to create a "living corpse" appearance.

Madame Guillotine has put together a fascinating post about the "edgily morbid" fashions of the post-revolutionary period here:‬
http://madameguillotine.org.uk/2010/02/ ... rveilleuse
Last edited by annis on Fri January 28th, 2011, 4:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu January 27th, 2011, 9:17 am

Thanks for that, Annis. I found it interesting even if very morbid! :eek:
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu January 27th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Gardner's I, Coriander set during the English Civil War is very good too.

I sometimes think that a higher standard is achieved by writers of kids' historical fiction - although I suppose we now call it Young Adult fiction.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri January 28th, 2011, 4:13 am

I tired to read this book before and couldn't get into it. I may give it another go.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri January 28th, 2011, 9:42 am

I was looking at the portrait with my first cup of tea and my 'I've just woken up' head on, and thought her arm was slouching on her upraised knee! Very unconventional I thought, until I looked more closely. :o
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat January 29th, 2011, 12:26 am

I think she's got her shawl draped artfully over the arm of the chair, though it does make you wonder at first glance. With her drapery in the lavender colour associated with half-mourning along with the red necklace and deliberately pale make-up, this young lady was clearly right into the 'victim" mode in a big way :)

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Sun January 30th, 2011, 4:54 am

Ooo. That's like original emo stuff. Very goth.

Return to “Young Adult Historical Fiction”