Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Westerns for women

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Westerns for women

Post by Divia » Sun January 23rd, 2011, 3:36 am

As we all know Louis L' Amour is the master of westerns. Well, I want something a bit more...feminine. I read and LOVED the Personal history of Rachel Dupree and was wondering if there was anything along those lines. Hell, I'd even read about a female outlaw(that would be fun).

I dont want westerns that are written for men by men. So please don't suggest them.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun January 23rd, 2011, 5:15 am

You would like These is My Words: the Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine
by Nancy turner. 256 five star reviews out of 297 total, so apparently others liked it as much as I did. To my surprise, I saw the writeup from School Library Journal was calling it YA. I seem to remember rather more sex in it--or maybe some of the content from Ride the Wind has come unattached from one book (in my malleable memory) and gone to another. That one is more Native American than Western but you would probably like it as well.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun January 23rd, 2011, 5:41 pm

I'll let you know when I finish my western version of Pride & Prejudice. ;)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun January 23rd, 2011, 5:54 pm

Are you looking for "true" westerns, or books with western settings?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun January 23rd, 2011, 7:28 pm

Nancy Turner's novels are outstanding. Another western writer whose works I'd recommend is Jane Candia Coleman.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun January 23rd, 2011, 7:59 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Are you looking for "true" westerns, or books with western settings?[/quote]
Fiction only please.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun January 23rd, 2011, 8:46 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Fiction only please.[/quote]

I was thinking *true* westerns as opposed to HF novels set in the West. So if I out of line feel free to slap me ;) :p

I believe Lucia Claire Robinson has written some with western settings, but I've not tried them yet. Her website: http://www.luciastclairrobson.com/Books.htm

I liked the Proud Breed by Celeste de Blasis a lot, but set in old California.

There's also Paint the Wind by Cathy Cash Spellman. A bit romancey but still a lot of fun. Mostly set in Colorado.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun January 23rd, 2011, 9:44 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]
There's also Paint the Wind by Cathy Cash Spellman. A bit romancey but still a lot of fun. Mostly set in Colorado.[/quote]

Oh, seconded Paint the Wind. I really enjoyed that one.

Edited to say that I enjoy westerns, but am happy with blokey ones too.

If you can get them through inter-library loans, take a look at Jeanne Williams. A Lady Bought with Rifles, and A Woman Clothed in Sun, or Home Mountain.
Last edited by EC2 on Sun January 23rd, 2011, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon January 24th, 2011, 12:03 am

Thanks for the brain-jump, Misfit. Lucia St. Clair Robinson is the lady who wrote Ride the Wind. Not to be confused with Paint the Wind. Wind seems to be a popular word in western titles.

Elizabeth
Avid Reader

Post by Elizabeth » Mon January 24th, 2011, 1:29 am

There's Gwen Bristow (Calico Palace, Jubilee Trail, Celia Garth)... these have been brought out in new editions recently by Chicago Review Press. I treasure my tatty old paperback copies.

Penelope Williamson is very good on the romance side. Ann Parker's Silver Rush mysteries (Silver Lies, Iron Ties, Leaden Skies) are set in Leadville, Colorado in the 1870s, if you'd like a taste of mystery with your wild west.

And don't forget the wonderful The Ballad of Cat Ballou by Roy Chanslor. NOTHING like the movie, and definitely your female outlaw. :)
THE RED LILY CROWN: A Novel of Medici Florence.
THE FLOWER READER.
THE SECOND DUCHESS.

www.elizabethloupas.com

Return to “By Era”