Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

My collections

rockygirl
Avid Reader

My collections

Post by rockygirl » Fri December 31st, 2010, 12:43 pm

My collections are so mundane compared to the rest of yours. I collect Noah's Arks--I have about two dozen. I also collect Precious Moments figurines--I have well over 200. I've been collecting the Noah's Arks about 6 years, and the Precious Moments almost 30 years.

I've also been building up a small pop-up book collection the last few years, but it's not at all extensive. Just recent stuff.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri December 31st, 2010, 3:16 pm

My husband has a cousin who collects Precious Moments figurines as well.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri December 31st, 2010, 4:50 pm

I would like to see your Noah's Arks. :) Do they still make Precious Moments? I used to buy them for my friends' daughters when they were little, but that's been several years ago.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Fri December 31st, 2010, 5:02 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I would like to see your Noah's Arks. :) Do they still make Precious Moments? I used to buy them for my friends' daughters when they were little, but that's been several years ago.[/quote]

I'll try to post some pictures. I'm not sure how to do that, but I'll try to muddle through.

Yes, they still make Precious Moments. I try to collect the older ones, because I like the colors they used to paint the figurines better than the colors they use now. Ebay is my best friend.

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Sat January 1st, 2011, 12:25 am

[quote=""rockygirl""]My collections are so mundane compared to the rest of yours. I collect Noah's Arks--I have about two dozen.[/quote]

ooh, that sounds interesting - people's collections are never mundane if it's what your passionate about.
Are they china/porcelain or wooden or what? I'm looking forward to seeing pics when you work it out!
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Sat January 1st, 2011, 1:14 am

I have wood, resin, china, and mixed media arks. I try to collection ones with different types of animals. For example, I have one from Peru with a llama and Noah is wearing a traditional Peruvian hat--I forget what the hats are called. Another one looks like a log cabin and has Northern woodlands animals. I also have some from different collectibles lines--Snow Buddies (which has Arctic animals), Friends of the Feather (which has prairie and desert animals), and of course, Precious Moments.

I think that my most interesting arks are examples of Scherenschnitte, which is German paper cutting. I found them at a wonderful crafts expo in Waterford, VA. All the crafts at the expo have to be ones that were popular during the American Colonial Era.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat January 1st, 2011, 2:17 am

[quote=""rockygirl""]I'll try to post some pictures. I'm not sure how to do that, but I'll try to muddle through.

Yes, they still make Precious Moments. I try to collect the older ones, because I like the colors they used to paint the figurines better than the colors they use now. Ebay is my best friend.[/quote]

You can post a picture either by using the "Insert Image" link and posting a link to a site like Photobucket, or you can use the "attachments" fuction (see the paper clip in the first row of links) and download a file from your computer.

Your collections sound neat!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat January 1st, 2011, 3:26 am

If a collection makes you smile, and you like it, then it is never mundane!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat January 1st, 2011, 4:55 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]If a collection makes you smile, and you like it, then it is never mundane![/quote]

Case in point: one of my sisters used to collect rocks. Not valuable ones, just the ones she liked enough to pick up off the ground. She never really got into geology so it must have been a "makes you smile" kind of thing.

Return to “Things We Collect”