Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Dorothy Eden

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Dorothy Eden

Post by Misfit » Thu December 30th, 2010, 11:27 am

Any one read her before? I'm currently reading Speak to Me of Love passed along from Michele (JM Jacobsen here). This one is set in late 19C and I think goes through either WWI or WWII. Daughter of wealthy shopkeeper is married off to the gentry (the family needs the cash). Nothing is smooth sailing of course. A good entertaining read.

From the listing at Fantastic Fiction it seems she was quite prolific, with historicals and romantic suspense/Gothic novels as well as historicals.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Thu December 30th, 2010, 3:17 pm

Speak to Me of Love was pretty good as I recall. My favorite is probably Never Call It Loving, about the relationship between Charles Parnell and Katharine ("Kitty") O'Shea amid political scandal in late 19th-c Ireland.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu December 30th, 2010, 4:19 pm

I will have to look for more, and the lib has plenty to choose from. Michy might like this author as well.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu December 30th, 2010, 4:28 pm

I'm pretty sure I've read one or two Dorothy Edens years and years ago. I don't remember titles and she never stood out as one of my favorites. May need to give her another try, though. :)

Did she write The Salamanca Drum? I remember that as a pretty good book. Maybe I need to re-read it......

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu December 30th, 2010, 6:32 pm

You really do believe in taking me back in time.

I read some whilst I was at school. Her books were always in the library. I enjoyed what I read, then, but I really can't remember anything particular about them and I am sure I only read about two or three.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu December 30th, 2010, 7:32 pm

I like finding these old OOP treasures.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue June 25th, 2013, 9:58 pm

Hey, looks like she's getting a new life. Several titles have popped up on Net Galley. I've read Vines of Yarrabee, Waiting for Willa (more of a contemporary story though) and The American Heiress.

Return to “By Author”