Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hello from Sin City

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
lvcabbie
Scribbler

Hello from Sin City

Post by lvcabbie » Tue December 28th, 2010, 3:30 pm

I've had this url on my "to visit" list for some time. But, in the process of getting rid of one browser that caused me a lot of trouble, I switched to a new one and checked out all the urls on my old one.

So, here I am.

I write in several different genres. I have one novel due for release sometime next year and here is the blurb for it:

Set on the reservations of the American Southwest, SONORA SYMPHONY tells the story of staff sergeant Ray Daniels, who is recovering from physical and mental scars sustained during a Taliban ambush in Afghanistan. A Cherokee by birth, he turns to a Papago Elder for help with his recovery and embarks on a dangerous but life-changing rite using Sacred Datura.

I've also completed the sequel for it.

In addition, my publisher is considering the following completed novels:

Blood in the Meadow about a Las Vegas cab driver who gets involved with terrorists back by a South American drug lord seeking revenge for the death of his son at the hands of DEA and local agents in Las Vegas.

Follow the Raven, a fantasy novel in which a young man has been selected to stop the spread of evil forces that seek to do away with all forms of magic and the creatures of the Other Worlds such as gnomes, faries, elves and others.

A take if Cold War intrigue titled Waltzing in the Shadows that takes place in Vienna during the late 70s and early 80s. The protagonist works in the American embassy and is drawn into being a conduit for highly sensitive information concerning the weaknesses of the USSR and efforts by radicalized Islamists to take over Iran and the Middle East.

But, the reason I'm interested in this forum is my current project. I have completed and am revising two novels set in 18th Century Baja and Alta California. The third is in the drawing board stage.

The Sailor and The Carpenter is about an English lad signed into bondage by his father to a ship's captain. The ship sails from Plymouth, around Cape Horn and into the Pacific. Part of the captain's goal is to search for Drake's treasure on the northern coast of California, then on to the north to trade for rich furs reported there by Russian traders. The lad is loosed from his safety lines by a sharp knife and goes overboard to be washed ashore on the coast of Baja California. An orphaned Indian boy taken in by the Franciscan friars finds him and takes him to a medicine woman for treatment. They become friends and are drawn into the efforts of Don Gaspar Portolà and Father Junipero Serra to ensure Spain's dominion of the California by establishing missions and pueblos.

The Mission Trail takes up the tale from when the expedition reaches San Diego and then north to find and establish a presidio and mission in Monte Rey Bay. The two lads continue to follow Father Serra as more missions are established and see the political infighting and biases of the Spanish. They stay with Father Serra until his death in 1784.

Father Serra's Legacy will deal with the period from Father Serra's death until Mexican Independence and possibly the coming of the Americans.

I hope to be a productive member of this forum and am looking forward to joining in on various discussions.

:cool: :cool:

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue December 28th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Welcome, lvcabbie! Glad to have you here.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue December 28th, 2010, 4:30 pm

Welcome, have fun on the boards and good luck with the books.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue December 28th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Hi lvcabbie. Hope you enjoy the forum.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue December 28th, 2010, 4:50 pm

Welcome. I'm looking forward to "meeting" you in the forum.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Tue December 28th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Welcome aboard!
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Tue December 28th, 2010, 6:09 pm

Hello and welcome! :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue December 28th, 2010, 6:31 pm

Welcome, Ivcabbie! I hope you enjoy it here.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue December 28th, 2010, 7:15 pm

Hi lvcabbie, welcome.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed December 29th, 2010, 11:53 am

Welcome to the forum. Great to have you here.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”