Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Solstice Eclipse 2010 and 1638

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Solstice Eclipse 2010 and 1638

Post by Margaret » Sun December 19th, 2010, 11:14 pm

It seems the lunar eclipse that will occur on the winter solstice this year (in the wee hours of December 21), is an extremely rare event. The last time there was a lunar eclipse on the winter solstice was in 1638, according to Wikipedia. Because eclipses have astrological significance (solar eclipses more than lunar, though), I'm wondering if anyone knows what was going on in late December 1638 and/or early January 1639.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon December 20th, 2010, 8:50 pm

well...a couple of years later England was plunged into a long and bloody civil war and the king got the chop :D
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Mon December 20th, 2010, 9:50 pm

It should be visible here (UK) from around 7.40 am until 8.53 am which means that it is also a 'once in a lifetime' chance to see a selenelion - an event when both the sun and the eclipsed moon can be seen in the sky at the same time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12039683
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Tue December 21st, 2010, 4:57 am

well...a couple of years later England was plunged into a long and bloody civil war and the king got the chop
Tempting ... but the moon is a fairly short-term astrological influence, so I don't think I'd want to spread the net as wide as a couple of years.

Halley's Comet appeared in April 1066, as the first planning for the Norman Conquest was already getting underway. The Conquest itself took place over the summer and autumn months of that same year. That's a better time frame for linking astrological events with worldly events.

I notice the BBC says "The last time a selenelion occurred, the Tudors were in power in England." I wonder what date that was.
Last edited by Margaret on Tue December 21st, 2010, 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue December 21st, 2010, 5:51 am

Well, the sky has just cleared up here, so it looks like we'll get a look after all! :D

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Tue December 21st, 2010, 6:43 am

Raining here, and no moon in sight an hour an a half before eclipse time. Darn!

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Tue December 21st, 2010, 7:57 am

[quote=""Margaret""]Raining here, and no moon in sight an hour an a half before eclipse time. Darn![/quote]

Just had a beautiful view of the whole eclipse here in Cornwall. Full eclipse occurred just before the moon slipped below the skyline.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Tue December 21st, 2010, 9:40 am

[quote=""Libby""]It should be visible here (UK) from around 7.40 am until 8.53 am.[/quote]

Not if you have a complete blanket of white cloud about 200 feet from the ground. :( : mad:
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Tue December 21st, 2010, 10:01 am

It was too cloudy/foggy here as well which is annoying because the sky is clear now. Ah well, at least I looked.

Margaret - I've been searching for the exact date of the last one but can't find it. Almost 500 years ago is as near as I can get. It is very annoying not to know the exact date. I could well devote the rest of the day to trying to find out.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue December 21st, 2010, 3:43 pm

Don't feel too bad Ben. At least you were looking. I got the date confused and slept through the whole thing. Oh wait, it was storming so I couldn't have seen it anyway. Oh well. I'm sure some enterprising photographer/videographer will be putting pics/video online soon.

Return to “Chat”