Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Crimean War

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Wed December 15th, 2010, 7:00 am

[QUOTE=annabel;76076]Now looking for good non fiction books about the war.QUOTE]

Hi Annabel: you might be interested in the newly published, highly regarded Crimea by Orlando Figes (he of the Amazon scandal earlier in the year) then:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crimea-Allen-Hi ... 340&sr=8-1
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

annabel
Scribbler

Post by annabel » Mon December 20th, 2010, 6:10 pm

Thanks, Parthianbow, that is now on my list for after Christmas.

At the moment I'm reading Mrs Duberly's War - finding it fascinating to read her first hand account.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Fri January 7th, 2011, 12:44 am

Book 20 of the Morland Dynasty series, The Winter Journey, is set right in the middle of the Crimean War...

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri January 7th, 2011, 1:41 am

[quote=""Kasthu""]Book 20 of the Morland Dynasty series, The Winter Journey, is set right in the middle of the Crimean War...[/quote]

Thanks for that. I think I'm going to try The Rose of Sebastopol next.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annabel
Scribbler

Post by annabel » Sat January 15th, 2011, 7:24 pm

Ive just finished The Rose of Sebastapol. I loved the early part of the book - she builds a convincing picture of Mariella, the quiet, dutiful daugher who is so meticulous in her manners and who sews so neatly and beautifully.
The Victorian details are deftly introduced so that you don't feel you are being given a history lesson - but there is enough to set her very firmly in her environment and time.
When she meets her wild cousin Rosa she begins a journey that ends with her in the Crimea, a rather different woman to the girl we first meet.
I liked the way that she adapts her clothes to make them looser and more comfortable when she is in the Crimea - just as she is becoming looser, more open, more comfortable in her own skin.
There is a lot to enjoy in this novel but towards the end I began to feel that it had lost its way a bit and I wasn't entirely satisfied with the ending. What did you think?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat January 15th, 2011, 7:31 pm

[quote=""annabel""]Ive just finished The Rose of Sebastapol. I loved the early part of the book - she builds a convincing picture of Mariella, the quiet, dutiful daugher who is so meticulous in her manners and who sews so neatly and beautifully.
The Victorian details are deftly introduced so that you don't feel you are being given a history lesson - but there is enough to set her very firmly in her environment and time.
When she meets her wild cousin Rosa she begins a journey that ends with her in the Crimea, a rather different woman to the girl we first meet.
I liked the way that she adapts her clothes to make them looser and more comfortable when she is in the Crimea - just as she is becoming looser, more open, more comfortable in her own skin.
There is a lot to enjoy in this novel but towards the end I began to feel that it had lost its way a bit and I wasn't entirely satisfied with the ending. What did you think?[/quote]

annabel, I haven't quite got to it yet. Soon I hope.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Sun January 23rd, 2011, 5:36 pm

[quote=""annabel""]Ive just finished The Rose of Sebastapol. I loved the early part of the book - she builds a convincing picture of Mariella, the quiet, dutiful daugher who is so meticulous in her manners and who sews so neatly and beautifully.
There is a lot to enjoy in this novel but towards the end I began to feel that it had lost its way a bit and I wasn't entirely satisfied with the ending. What did you think?[/quote]

Agreed....it was subtle and wonderful. I wasn't as disappointed in the end, but probably because the early part of the novel was so good that I forgave it.

My copy is going to Misfit when we have our next "book lunch". :)

Antoine Vanner
Reader

Post by Antoine Vanner » Thu November 1st, 2012, 3:17 pm

And don't forget Harry Flashman's role in the Charge of the Light Brigade, as detailed in "Flashman at the Charge"!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu November 1st, 2012, 6:56 pm

A L Berridge's recent novel Into the Valley of Death has had good reviews, though I haven't got to it yet myself.

And a nod for an older novel which I enjoyed back in the day (in fact all her older HF was excellent) - Sarah Woodhouse, Daughter of the Sea.

Return to “Russia”