Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mummified head is skull of Henri IV, say historians

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
michellemoran
Bibliophile

Mummified head is skull of Henri IV, say historians

Post by michellemoran » Wed December 15th, 2010, 6:19 pm

I love when forensics experts are able to achieve this. If only we could do it for every skull!

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/artic ... d-his-head
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed December 15th, 2010, 7:20 pm

Nice that they'll be having a funeral for him.

Can't believe the mob mentality that led to digging up dead royals just so they could be beheaded. Didn't hurt them, as they were already dead, but still.

Matt Phillips
Reader

Post by Matt Phillips » Wed December 15th, 2010, 7:37 pm

Fascinating - thanks for posting ...

Another interesting recent example of forensic work reconstructing the likeness of a historical figure was Mount Vernon's development of three life-size figures of George Washington at different stages of his life, using his life (or death? not sure) mask, denture sets, clothes, etc. They are very realistic and anyone in the DC area should check it out.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed December 15th, 2010, 7:45 pm

Posted by Love History
Can't believe the mob mentality that led to digging up dead royals just so they could be beheaded. Didn't hurt them, as they were already dead, but still
It is bizarre, isn't it? It's symbolic, I guess. One of Charles’ II's first orders after his restoration to the monarchy was that Oliver Cromwell’s body should be dug up and put on 'trial' as a traitor and regicide. Cromwell's body was put on trial, found guilty and hanged from a gallows at Tyburn (near Hyde Park, London). Seems totally pointless, but it must have satisfied in some way Charles' need for vengeance or justice.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Wed December 15th, 2010, 7:54 pm

Gosh, doesn't Henri look anxious! I assume that look of anxiety is justified by the traces his musculature left on the bones. Makes me think of one of those Shakespeare lines - "uneasy lies the head that wears the crown" or something to that effect.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed December 15th, 2010, 8:07 pm

[quote=""Matt Phillips""]Fascinating - thanks for posting ...

Another interesting recent example of forensic work reconstructing the likeness of a historical figure was Mount Vernon's development of three life-size figures of George Washington at different stages of his life, using his life (or death? not sure) mask, denture sets, clothes, etc. They are very realistic and anyone in the DC area should check it out.[/quote] Definitely! I was just there in April and saw these. They have an interesting video that shows their work, and a nice plus is that the figures of Washington are each set up in a beautiful tableau with great lighting that photographs very well. So you can get awesome pictures of them. :)

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Wed December 15th, 2010, 10:04 pm

He looked just like his portraits. I actually got emotional seeing this; I grew so fond of him wgile writing Confessions. He's the ugly / sexy guy :)
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed December 15th, 2010, 11:24 pm

Is Eleanor of Aquitaine's skull still intact? Or has it been destroyed at some point? If not, then I wish they could do this reconstruction with her. Although it would entail exhuming her skeleton, so I'm sure that's out. And it still wouldn't answer the burning question of what color her hair really was. :)

I would be fun to see to see Henry II, too, and also Richard the Lionheart.
Last edited by Michy on Wed December 15th, 2010, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu December 16th, 2010, 12:17 am

And King John. Especially if he looks anything like Lady Moppet's KJ.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Thu December 16th, 2010, 12:24 am

I hope they do not recreate everything about Henry IV, for it has been written that he stank of goat -- quite a feat for that era by our current standards of hygeine.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Return to “History in the News”