Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Princess of Nowhere Lorenzo Borghese

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

The Princess of Nowhere Lorenzo Borghese

Post by Misfit » Sun November 14th, 2010, 2:44 pm

I know I'm ahead of everyone else but I wanted to bang out some thoughts here. Might be slightly spoilerish, but I'll do my best to avoid it.

I feel like I'm eating cotton candy with no substance to stick to my bones.

Camillo Borghese gentleman bar none, impeccable courtly manners. Pauline, SLUT SLUT SLUT SLUT.

Jacket says book is written from the POV of Sophie (third person), yet there are several times where she's completely out of the *scene*, a couple of which just so's we could watch them have hot hot sex.

The book begins when Pauline is widowed and first meets Camillo. I would have liked to know more of her background before that and HOW she became to be such a notorious slut. We're just told she is by her busyness in and out of the bedroom. We're not told why she behaves this way. Better yet, I'd have liked to have seen something like what Freda did with Margot and show us how those awful rumors about Margot got started and perhaps weren't so true after all.

There were a couple of other things, but my feeble brain has lost those thoughts for the moment :o :( :rolleyes:
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sun November 14th, 2010, 10:10 pm

Sounds like it's a good thing I passed on this one.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun November 14th, 2010, 10:44 pm

I finished this morning. What really is missing, IMHO is that we really don't get in depth with Pauline's character to find out what made her tick and cause this behavior. Or if Pauline really was like she's been rumored. Not bad, but certainly not great by any means.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Mon November 15th, 2010, 2:25 am

[quote=""Misfit""]
Camillo Borghese gentleman bar none, impeccable courtly manners. Pauline, SLUT SLUT SLUT SLUT. [/quote]

Sold! I'm off to the store tomorrow with my Borders reward card. :p
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Elizabeth
Avid Reader

Post by Elizabeth » Tue November 16th, 2010, 3:48 pm

Well, there goes another keyboard. :)
THE RED LILY CROWN: A Novel of Medici Florence.
THE FLOWER READER.
THE SECOND DUCHESS.

www.elizabethloupas.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 1st, 2010, 1:22 am

A Klausner review has been spotted, http://mainstreamfiction.blogspot.com/2 ... renzo.html

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed December 1st, 2010, 3:07 am

Refreshing as revelations prove too late to act upon, Sophie represents the delightful historical personage as she initially admired her guardian only to loath her ill tempered guardian.

Right.

I got a copy in the mail the other day. He credits "a friend who is a professor" with help in the research and the writing.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 1st, 2010, 3:12 am

[quote=""Ariadne""]Right.

I got a copy in the mail the other day. He credits "a friend who is a professor" with help in the research and the writing.[/quote]

I'll be curious what you think. I did get some comments on my review on the blog from Borghese. Seems to be a good sport.

Problem is, the POV of Sophia deviates too much when she can't be in the *picture*. I'm guessing Harriet didn't read too much. Surprise ;)

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed December 1st, 2010, 3:24 am

I read your review but hadn't checked back to see the comments. I've been using Google Reader and have been missing too many comments that way. He does seem to have a good attitude about it. About the professor friend, I remember there was a co-author listed on Amazon UK, so that may solve that mystery. It looks like a breezy light read.

That review was garbled even for Harriet. Egad.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed December 1st, 2010, 3:27 am

Sigh, I was interested in this book, but guess not now.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Book Buddies”