Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Eagle

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

The Eagle

Post by Rowan » Tue November 23rd, 2010, 8:43 pm

This film seems to be about the Ninth Legion of Rome and it's alleged disappearance in Northern Britain.

Seems to me one to watch, but I'll wait for the opinion of the authorities among us. ^_^

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue November 23rd, 2010, 8:52 pm

Looks like it might be based on Rosemary Sutcliff's excellent book, The Eagle of the Ninth. Maybe I'll get it on netflix when it comes out on DVD.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Wed November 24th, 2010, 9:21 am

It is based on Sutcliff's book, and its name was only recently changed from 'Eagle of the Ninth'. I'm told that the correct title was judged to be too confusing for American audiences, who, it was thought, might think it was a golfing movie. :D :p
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed November 24th, 2010, 3:01 pm

[quote=""parthianbow""]I'm told that the correct title was judged to be too confusing for American audiences, who, it was thought, might think it was a golfing movie. :D :p [/quote]

Silly Americans! ;)
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed November 24th, 2010, 3:41 pm

Annis has posted about it in several places (likely places in the upcoming films thread and the Sutcliff thread.. you'll find it easily in a search).

I do find it annoying that they feel they need to dumb down the title for Americans. Ridiculous!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed November 24th, 2010, 5:00 pm

There is a trailer for the movie out on You Tube currently. I have to admit that I have reservations about Channing Tatum's acting, but here's hoping. Anthony Lawton of the Rosemary Sutcliff blogsite has seen the full movie (still in production at this stage - it's due for release round Feb next year) and he reckons it is really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UocCYkS ... r_embedded

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Wed November 24th, 2010, 5:28 pm

Thanks for the link, Annis. I'd seen mention of it on RAT recently, but tsk, tsk, I hadn't looked at it. Wow! Apart from the leather breastplate I think I saw, it looks great! I've had to wait this long for it, I guess I can put up with the delayed release date, hope that Channing Tatum comes up to the mark, and look forward to February.
(Incidentally, there's a TV programme being made about the theory - and it is only a theory, with no proof, about the Ninth Legion disappeared in Scotland. Yours truly has been asked to comment on how EOTN influenced him to write Roman stuff. If it comes off, and/or isn't edited out because of my stumbling delivery, I'll be on TV for the first time! :o )
Ben Kane

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed November 24th, 2010, 6:06 pm

Posted by Parthianbow
Incidentally, there's a TV programme being made about the theory - and it is only a theory, with no proof, about the Ninth Legion disappeared in Scotland. Yours truly has been asked to comment on how EOTN influenced him to write Roman stuff. If it comes off, and/or isn't edited out because of my stumbling delivery, I'll be on TV for the first time! )
Good one, Ben! Hope I get a chance to see it when it comes out :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed November 24th, 2010, 8:20 pm

Let us know if you're going to be on, Ben!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Thu November 25th, 2010, 9:18 am

I will do :o
It will be on the History Channel, which I confess I do not receive. That will have to change once the programme's been filmed, though. ;)
Ben Kane

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”