Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Holiday Postcard Exchange?

Is there something you'd like to see on this site? Let the admins know!
Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri November 19th, 2010, 5:52 pm

Yup, I wasn't planning to match up anyone in the same state. That's assuming it isn't hideously expensive to post to another state?

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri November 19th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Nope -- postage rates are the same all throughout the U.S., including Alaska and Hawaii. But the minute you mail to Canada, then it gets expensive (probably Mexico, too, although I've never mailed anything there and so don't know).

I don't mind paying overseas postage, so I'll exchange cards anywhere. :)

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri November 19th, 2010, 6:40 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I prefer to send and receive cards from people outside of California. Not for personal reasons :) , but simply because I think it would be more fun and interesting.[/quote]

Yeah, like me and Misfit would prefer people outside of WA State cause you know we've seen the landmarks of this state already.

Heck, every time I go down a certain hill in the Access Van and it's nice out, I can see Mt. Rainer, don't need a postcard of it!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri November 19th, 2010, 6:47 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Yeah, like me and Misfit would prefer people outside of WA State cause you know we've seen the landmarks of this state already.

Heck, every time I go down a certain hill in the Access Van and it's nice out, I can see Mt. Rainer, don't need a postcard of it!

SM[/quote]

It must be a very very cloudy day for one to not notice Rainier. It dominates the area.

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri November 19th, 2010, 6:59 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]It must be a very very cloudy day for one to not notice Rainier. It dominates the area.

Image[/quote]

Is it just a mountain or an extinct volcano?

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri November 19th, 2010, 7:01 pm

It's a volcano. And as for extinct -- just ask the people who live around Mt. St. Helens (another in the same Cascade range) about that!

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri November 19th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Probably a volcano -- I think most of the solitary mountains on the West Coast are.

Are there any volcanoes in the UK? Never heard of any.......

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri November 19th, 2010, 7:07 pm

[quote=""Michy""]
Are there any volcanoes in the UK? Never heard of any.......[/quote]

None living but there is volcanic rock and Edinburgh is apparently built on an extinct volcano. Hope it stays that way!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri November 19th, 2010, 7:08 pm

Oh, Mt. Rainer isn't extinct and can still pop it's top, that's why they have warning alarms set up just in case.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri November 19th, 2010, 8:31 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Is it just a mountain or an extinct volcano?[/quote]

Dormant volcano. The main fear if she ever woke up again is for the danger of a large Lahar (mud flow). Rainier has quite a lot of glaciers (=snow) up there and if the mountain heated up and melted it all it would be heading right towards some heavily populated areas. St. Helens blew sideways but a lot of the affected areas were wilderness and/or logging.

Paradise, the main higher level attraction where one can drive a car is only 5500'. I have pictures taken on a 4th of July weekend with snow drifts easily two storeys high. The wildflowers aren't out and the meadows clear until well into August and if you go hiking higher you'll still hit snow fields even in September. Rainier makes her own weather so to speak.

Image #1 is the wildflowers in bloom and doesn't do it justice. Image #2 is the Nisqually glacier taken from a higher elevation. As close as Rainier looks in the shot from the Seattle Skyline it is quite some distance to get there.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Site Suggestions”