Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sara Palin Common Sense Stupidity

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu November 18th, 2010, 11:44 pm

[quote=""MLE""]But if you aren't interested in any of those people buying or reading your books -- go ahead and vent. The other half of the readers are on the other side, and surely you can make a go with half the potential readership.
[/quote] I suppose that is the reason -- even more than the reason I suggested above -- why there doesn't seem to be a lot of participation on this forum in "debates" of divisive and heated issues. Because so many of the members are authors who don't want to risk offending readers and potential readers. Very wise! :)

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Fri November 19th, 2010, 12:01 am

So does that mean the Debate thread should go away?......

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri November 19th, 2010, 12:16 am

I suppose you can hate Sarah Palin all you want. Of course there are those that think Obama is a left wing wingnut. There are some who weep when the mention of public health is talked about.

Sure, you can hate her all you want, but as Love History said, she does appeal to about 1/2 the population. If she wants to talk about American Idol and people want to plop down 30 bucks for her book, hey, its America to each their own.

I just wish I had the loyal readership she does. I'd be rich. :cool:
Last edited by Divia on Fri November 19th, 2010, 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri November 19th, 2010, 12:43 am

No Chuck, the debate thread doesn't need to go away. But it wouldn't hurt to be more respectful of half the people in this country. You don't have to like or agree with someone to treat them the way you would want to be treated.

RE the topic title: only thing that bugs me about it is the misspelled name. It's Sarah with an "h." So if anyone thinks changing the title is necessary, would you mind also fixing that? It's driving me nuts.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri November 19th, 2010, 1:05 am

Its a debate thread. If you don't want to debate don't read the thread. There are some issues I prefer to stay away from, others that I am interested in discussing and finding other viewpoints. So if Chuck wishes to discuss Palin its not skin off my nose. I choose whether or not I want to join in, and don't tell the author of a topic that they shouldn't discuss something.

I also don't think its half the country. Take a look at her poll numbers

The other half of the readers are on the other side, and surely you can make a go with half the potential readership.

Isn't it time to finially put an end to the 'other side' meme? The media takes every issue to its extreme, so it looks like there are only two ways of seeing it. There are not; in every issue there are shades of white, black and gray that need to be discussed. Telling someon you don't agree with that they must be 'the other side' does nothing to encourage discussion, and just leads to more division.
Last edited by Ash on Fri November 19th, 2010, 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri November 19th, 2010, 3:35 am

Isn't it time to finally put an end to the 'other side' meme?
This is a good point, I think. People can disagree very strongly about particular issues and still have a lot in common.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri November 19th, 2010, 4:19 pm

Poll numbers are actually pretty meaningless. Ever take a statistics course? The numbers are so easy to manipulate one way or the other. Even the phrasing of the question makes a big difference in how the answers come out. Random sampling isn't able to give an accurate cross-section of a nation with over 300 million people.

If you lived in an area where most of the women are hunting, fishing, hockey moms like her, you wouldn't doubt her popularity as much.

Nobody said not to discuss anything. It was the lack of respect inherent in the initial post that was the issue.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri November 19th, 2010, 4:20 pm

By the way, where did the term "meme" come from anyhow?

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri November 19th, 2010, 5:46 pm

I'd never even heard of the term, myself, until it was featured on an NPR program a while back....

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconside ... ardon-meme

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Fri November 19th, 2010, 5:52 pm

We just don't see eye to eye...I'm letting go of this Thread....Enough said....BTW I grew up in the Minneapolis Minnesota....Try not to generalize about Midwesterners and their politics.....

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”