Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Prince William & Kate Middleton Are Finally Engaged

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed November 17th, 2010, 1:25 am

I can see the covers of the next issues of "Majesty" and "Royalty" magazines!

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed November 17th, 2010, 1:45 am

[quote=""Divia""]I think they have exposed her to royal life so she knows whats coming. Which is better than what they did to poor Di and just dropped her in it. I'm sure there will be some adjusting.[/quote]

One huge difference is that William and Kate are the same age, were friends first, got to know each other very well, and had a courtship that lasted years. Charles and Diana had a 13 year age difference, had very little in common, and had been on surprisingly few dates. It's always been my opinion that Charles and Diana were a terrible mismatch. Diana did live with the Queen Mother at Clarence House for a few months before her marriage receiving "royal" training.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed November 17th, 2010, 1:52 am

[quote=""princess garnet""]I can see the covers of the next issues of "Majesty" and "Royalty" magazines![/quote]

We don't get those on Vashon any more, back in my Diana collecting days, I'd use my saved up allowances to buy them, they weren't cheap then either.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed November 17th, 2010, 1:55 am

I'm wondering if the Spencers will loan her the Spencer Tiara, the one Diana wore at her wedding or will she be given or loaned a totally different one.

Re: the ring, as much as it's such a sweet and thoughtful gift on William's behalf, I think he should've just give it to her as a gift not the engagement ring and that they should've chosen something all their own.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed November 17th, 2010, 2:02 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I'm wondering if the Spencers will loan her the Spencer Tiara, the one Diana wore at her wedding or will she be given or loaned a totally different one.[/quote]

I don't think Kate will wear the Spencer tiara as she is not a Spencer nor is she marrying into the Spencer family. Either she will receive a new tiara or one of the Queen's tiaras as a gift or the Queen will loan her one.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed November 17th, 2010, 2:07 am

[quote=""Susan""]I don't think Kate will wear the Spencer tiara as she is not a Spencer nor is she marrying into the Spencer family. Either she will receive a new tiara or one of the Queen's tiaras as a gift or the Queen will loan her one.[/quote]

I was just thinking it because William is part Spencer.

But you're probably right.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed November 17th, 2010, 2:25 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I was just thinking it because William is part Spencer.

But you're probably right.[/quote]

Yes, William is part Spencer, but the Windsor side is infinitely more important. A bit of tiara history from recent royal weddings: Princess Anne wore the King George III Diamond Fringe Tiara, the same tiara the Queen had worn at her wedding. Sarah Ferguson, former wife of Prince Andrew, wore a floral headdress consisting of lily of the valley, cream roses, gardenias and cream lily petals during the wedding ceremony. However, she emerged from Westminster Abbey wearing a diamond tiara that was a gift from the Queen and Prince Philip. Sophie Rhys-Jones, wife of Prince Edward, wore a borrowed tiara from the Queen. Autumn Kelly, the wife of Princess Anne's son Peter Phillips, wore a tiara borrowed from Princess Anne.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed November 17th, 2010, 4:31 am

[quote=""Susan""]Either she will receive a new tiara or one of the Queen's tiaras as a gift or the Queen will loan her one.[/quote] Or, given that her parents have made millions on their party supply business, she just might wear one of many the tiaras from her dad's warehouse. You know, the kind little girls wear at birthday parties, with lots of rhinestones. And just think of all the great decorations she'll have for the reception!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist...... :p :p :p

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Wed November 17th, 2010, 4:48 am

Ho HUM.....

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed November 17th, 2010, 8:45 am

[quote=""Susan""]One huge difference is that William and Kate are the same age, were friends first, got to know each other very well, and had a courtship that lasted years. Charles and Diana had a 13 year age difference, had very little in common, and had been on surprisingly few dates. It's always been my opinion that Charles and Diana were a terrible mismatch. Diana did live with the Queen Mother at Clarence House for a few months before her marriage receiving "royal" training.[/quote]

I totally agree with what you say, Susan. Charles and Diana didn't suit each other at all. It was definitely a 'needs must' arrangement. All very sad. William has a lot more freedom than Charles ever did and I do believe that he 'chose' Kate, rather than having had her chosen for him.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Chat”