Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Should Amazon censor products?

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri November 12th, 2010, 9:44 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Amazon is not a government entity, therefore they may censor whatever they like. They are not required to carry specific products. They do not need to censor something to refuse to sell it. There is a difference between the two.[/quote]

That's quite true. And yes, as MLE says, I think they should show more social responsibility. Every company has to make money to stay in business, but I think it's not too much to ask businesses to have some kind of ethical code of conduct.

Woolworth's (RIP) had to withdraw a set of children's bedroom furniture named Lolita and a pole dancing kit sold in the children's toys section after customers complained. Mumsnet has an ongoing campaign to remove inappropriate products aimed at preteen girls (padded bras, high heeled shoes, etc) from the shelves. I'm all for consumers banding together against objectionable products since retailers seem happy to sell anything. I don't see books as being a separate issue.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Fri November 12th, 2010, 10:36 am

[quote=""MLE""]Sometimes I think people have become so knee-jerk anti-censorship that they have lost any sense of proportion. The problem of being so open-minded that your brains fall out.[/quote]

LOL! That just sums up my feelings on it so perfectly! Some people are so pro "free speech" that they seem to lose all sense of reason. I think anyone who feels their freedom of speech is threatened because a book retailer pulled a how-to guide on pedophilia is being a little bit paranoid.

It reminds me of a quote I once read: "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought, which they seldom use".

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Fri November 12th, 2010, 12:30 pm

There's a good reason why the pedophile book was self-published. I'm sure no respectable firm would touch it (and they are the first line of defence in deciding which topics are indecent or inappropriate for publication).
Seems to me that Amazon needs to take on this responsibility themselves if they are going to make such material available to the general public.

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”