Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

November 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu November 4th, 2010, 2:54 pm

Currently reading Bernard Cornwall's "The Fort... A Novel About the Revolutionary War"....so far a bit disappointing... feels a bit off....Curious about a quote used several times in the book Is "God is an Englishman"?.....Looked it up and George Bernard Shaw first coined the phrase in 1911...when discussing what the average Englishman thinks about God....I know picky, picky....Just hope it perks up.....

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu November 4th, 2010, 4:50 pm

Interesting, Chuck. I was rather surprised to see several less than enthusiastic reviews forThe Fort around the 'net. I've got a copy coming sometime soon--

Still reading Julian Stockwin's Artemis, second in his Kydd series set during the French Revolutionary Wars. There's something about this series that keeps you going, though --stap me for a miserable landlubber-- I must admit I spent a lot of the first novel feeling as bewildered and confused as poor hapless Kydd himself, impressed into His Majesty's Navy without a clue about life at sea! It's a useful device , though. because Stockwin gets a chance to teach the reader about life on a ship of the line at the same time as his hero is learning the ropes, so to speak.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu November 4th, 2010, 5:10 pm

Just started... Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu November 4th, 2010, 5:30 pm

Hi annis.....My God.... I love the JS Kydd series....I have read all of them...waiting for his newest release....Thomas Kydd is such a interesting and complex character....and his shipmate Nicholas Renzi is just as interesting....great sea going yarns....Hope you can hang in there with all the sea going jargon....I found Patrick O'Brian's "Navy" book to be very helpful in great illustrations and commentary...BTW..JS has a great website......BC's "The Fort" the pacing and the characters are so unlike his other Manly novels....Although I did not not care much for "Stonehenge and The Civil War Series"...BTW your reviews and mentions are terrific.....Shipway, Lamb and Duggin are all keepers.....

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Thu November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm

Currently reading some nonfiction: American Rose, by Karen Abbott.
Last edited by Kasthu on Thu November 4th, 2010, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Thu November 4th, 2010, 10:37 pm

Finished Keeper of Light and Dust, and loved it. Very cool thriller, involving chi, tattoos and kickboxing.

Just started The Countess by Rebecca John.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

javagirl
Reader

Post by javagirl » Fri November 5th, 2010, 2:50 am

Finished Confessions of Catherine De Medici last night. It was a great read that I kept my interest the entire time. I love the style/language, etc. and am in awe of how C.W. (and other great H.F. authors) are able to bring another time period to life through words. Another great job by C.W. (as I also loved the Last Queen). Looking forward to the next, which I know is underway.

Now on to a contemporary: Vince Flynn's Extreme Measures which has been sitting on Mt TBR for a couple years now.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Fri November 5th, 2010, 5:21 am

[quote=""javagirl""]Finished Confessions of Catherine De Medici last night. It was a great read that I kept my interest the entire time. I love the style/language, etc. and am in awe of how C.W. (and other great H.F. authors) are able to bring another time period to life through words. Another great job by C.W. (as I also loved the Last Queen). Looking forward to the next, which I know is underway. [/quote]

Thank you! I'm very honored and you have perfect timing: I had an awful day at work today dealing with an idiot boss, so your praise means so much to me. All those hours late at night writing . . . .words like these make it worthwhile. :)
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Fri November 5th, 2010, 7:04 pm

Currently reading Juliet by Anne Fortier. I've only just started it but so far I think it's about a girl who discovers she's descended from the Juliet of Shakespeare's play.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri November 5th, 2010, 7:21 pm

[quote=""annis""]Interesting, Chuck. I was rather surprised to see several less than enthusiastic reviews forThe Fort around the 'net. I've got a copy coming sometime soon--

Still reading Julian Stockwin's Artemis, second in his Kydd series set during the French Revolutionary Wars. There's something about this series that keeps you going, though --stap me for a miserable landlubber-- I must admit I spent a lot of the first novel feeling as bewildered and confused as poor hapless Kydd himself, impressed into His Majesty's Navy without a clue about life at sea! It's a useful device , though. because Stockwin gets a chance to teach the reader about life on a ship of the line at the same time as his hero is learning the ropes, so to speak.[/quote]

I reviewed one of Stockwin's for the HNS Review some time ago. I thoroughly enjoyed it but yes, I wasn't sure what was what sometimes. I remember asking in bewilderment what a 'buntline cringle' was. I must read more in the series; there are quite a few of them now.
In the interests of disclosure, I know Julian Stockwin and we share an agent, but I'm not just saying I like his stuff to be diplomatic. I do enjoy it.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Archives”