Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This Day in History

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat October 30th, 2010, 8:53 pm

[quote=""chuck""]Back in the day I watched the TL film starring a very young Peter Phelps....I really enjoyed it and after reading your thread the light went on....The charge on film is overwhelming......Now I have to see if I can find it on Netflix....[/quote]

I enjoyed The Lighthorsemen -- scary how long ago 1987 seems now---

I can just imagine how quickly Trooper Elliot hopped to it when he saw that lot racing over the hill towards him!

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 1:58 am

November 1 in royal history:

November 1, 1396 - Wedding of Richard II and Isabella of France at St. Nicholas' Church, Calais, France

November 1, 1526 – Death of Catherine Jagiellon, wife of Johan III of Sweden, at Stockholm, Sweden; buried at Uppsala Cathedral

November 1, 1549 – Birth of Anna of Austria, fourth wife of Philip II of Spain

November 1, 1700 – Death of Carlos II of Spain at Madrid; buried at the Monastery of San Lorenzo El Real in El Escorial

November 1, 1778 – Birth of Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden

November 1, 1864 – Birth of Elisabeth of Hesse and by Rhine, wife of Grand Duke Serge Alexandrovich, granddaughter of Queen Victoria, at Bessungen, Darmstadt, Germany

November 1, 1894 - Death of Tsar Alexander III of Russia at Livadia Palace in the Crimea; buried at the Fortress of Sts. Peter and Paul, St. Petersburg
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 2:01 am

November 2 in royal history:

November 2, 1083 – Death of Matilda of Flanders, wife of William the Conqueror, at Caen, Normandy; buried at Holy Trinity Abbey, Caen, Normandy

November 2, 1135 - Death of Baldwin, son of King Stephen, at London; buried at the Priory of the Holy Trinity, Aldgate, London

November 2, 1160 – Wedding of Henry the Young King and Marguerite of France, daughter of King Louis VII, at Neubourg, Normandy

November 2, 1475 - Birth of Anne of York, daughter of Edward IV, at the Palace of Westminster
Anne married Thomas Howard, later the 3rd Duke of Norfolk, but she died young and they had no children. The Duke later married Anne Stafford, daughter of the Duke of Buckingham and was the uncle of Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard.

November 2, 1483 – Execution of Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke of Buckingham

November 2, 1709 - Birth of Anne, Princess Royal, daughter of George II, at Schloss Herrenhausen, Hanover, Germany
Anne married the Prince William IV of Orange. The Dutch Royal Family is descended from her.

November 2, 1755 - Birth of Maria Antonia of Habsburg-Lotharingen, wife of Louis XVI of France
Full name: Maria Antonia Josepha Johanna (better known by her French name, Marie Antoinette)

November 2, 1767 - Birth of Edward, Duke of Kent, son of George III, at Buckingham Palace
The Duke of Kent was the father of Queen Victoria.

November 2, 1777 - Birth of Princess Sophia, daughter of George III, at Buckingham Palace

November 2, 1916 – Death of Elisabeth of Wied, wife Carol I of Romania, at Bucharest, Romania; buried at the Cathedral of the Curtea de Arges Monastery

November 2, 1938 - Birth of Sofia of Greece, wife of King Juan Carlos I of Spain
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 1:19 am

November 3 in royal history:

November 3, 1717 - Birth of Prince George William, son of George II, at St. James Palace

November 3, 1852 - Birth of Emperor Meiji of Japan

November 3, 1901 – Birth of Leopold III of the Belgians

November 3, 1961 - Birth of David Armstrong-Jones, Viscount Linley, son of Princess Margaret, at Clarence House
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 10:45 pm

November 4 in royal history:

November 4, 1393 - Wedding of Edmund of Langley, Duke of York and Joan Holland

November 4, 1470 - Birth of Edward V in sanctuary at Westminster Abbey

November 4, 1631 - Birth of Mary, Princess Royal, daughter of Charles I, at St. James Palace, London

November 4, 1677 - Wedding of William III and Mary II at St. James Palace, London

November 4, 1970 – Death of former King Peter II of Yugoslavia in Denver, Colorado; buried at St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Monastery, Libertyville, Illinois
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 10:46 pm

November 5 in royal history:

November 5, 1605 – The Gunpowder Plot, conceived by Guy Fawkes and 10 accomplices, to kill King James I and all members of Parliament is scheduled by planting gunpowder under Parliament. The conspirators were tried, convicted and beheaded.

November 5, 1726 - Death of Lady Mary Tudor, illegitimate daughter of Charles II by Mary 'Moll' Davis

November 5, 1828 – Death of Sophie Dorothea of Württemberg, second wife of Tsar Paul I of Russia, at Pavlovsk Palace; buried at Peter and Paul Cathedral, Saint Petersburg

November 5, 1864 – Birth of Hilda of Luxembourg, wife of Frederick II, Grand Duke of Baden
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 10:49 pm

November 6 in royal history:

November 6, 1429 - Coronation of Henry VI

November 6, 1479 – Birth of Juana I of Castile

November 6, 1612 - Death of Henry, Prince of Wales, son of James I, at St. James Palace, London; buried at Westminster Abbey
Henry died of typhoid at age 18. His brother Charles (later Charles I) became heir to the throne. Henry’s death was considered a national tragedy.

November 6, 1632 – Death of Gustavus II Adolphus of Sweden at the Battle of Lützen; buried at Riddarholmen Church

November 6, 1650 – Death of William II, Prince of Orange of smallpox
William was the father of William III of England who was born a week after his father's death. William III's mother and his wife Mary II of England also died of smallpox.

November 6, 1656 – Death of João IV of Portugal at Ribeira Palace, Lisbon; buried at the Monastery of São Vicente de Fora, Lisbon

November 6, 1661 – Birth of Carlos II of Spain at Madrid

November 6, 1754 – Birth of Frederick I of Württemberg

November 6, 1816 – Death of Charles II, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

November 6, 1817 - Death of Princess Charlotte of Wales, only child of the Prince of Wales (later George IV), in childbirth after delivering a stillborn son, at Claremont House, Esher, Surrey; buried at St. George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle

November 6, 1836 – Death of former Charles X of France and Navarre at the palace of Count Michael Coronini von Cronberg in Gorizia, in present-day Italy; buried at the Church of Saint Mary of the Annunciation on Kostanjevica Hill in present-day Nova Gorica, Slovenia

November 6, 1935 - Wedding of Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, and Lady Alice Montagu-Douglas-Scott at the Private Chapel, Buckingham Palace
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 10:50 pm

November 7 in royal history:

November 7, 1485 - Parliament passes an Act of Succession confirming Henry VII’s succession

November 7, 2000 – Death of Ingrid of Sweden, wife of Frederik IX of Denmark at Fredensborg Castle; buried at Roskilde Cathedral
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon November 8th, 2010, 12:14 am

November 8 in royal history:

November 8, 1226 – Death of Louis VIII of France at Château Montpensier, France; buried at St. Denis Basilica

November 8, 1622 - Birth of Carl X Gustav of Sweden

November 8, 1768 - Birth of Princess Augusta Sophia, daughter of George III, at Buckingham Palace

November 8, 1777 – Birth of Désirée Clary, wife of Charles XIV of Sweden

November 8, 1876 – Death of Maria Vittoria del Pozzo della Cisterna, wife of Amadeo I of Spain, at Sanremo, Italy; buried at the Basilica of Superga, Turin, Italy

November 8, 1933 - Assassination of King Nadir Shah of Afghanistan at Kabul, Afghanistan

November 8, 2003 - Birth of Lady Louise Windsor, daughter of Prince Edward, at Frimley Park Hospital, Surrey
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue November 9th, 2010, 1:16 am

November 9 in royal history:

November 9, 1384 – Birth of Isabella of Valois, second wife of Richard II, at Hotel du Louvre, Paris, France

November 9, 1841 - Birth of Edward VII at Buckingham Palace

November 9, 1866 - Wedding of Tsar Alexander III of Russia and Princess Dagmar of Denmark, daughter of King Christian IX

November 9, 1918 - Abdication of Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany

November 9, 1953 - Death of Abdul Aziz ibn Sa'ud, first king of Saudi Arabia at Ta’if, Saudi Arabia; buried at Al Od Cemetery, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Return to “General Discussion”