Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Can you swim in a mail shirt?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed October 8th, 2008, 6:47 pm

I'd start with "Sharpe's Tiger" if you haven't read any of the Sharpe books.
There are 21 books in the series, so it might prove expensive to buy the lot!
http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index2.c ... seriesid=1

Abebooks is also a good place to pick up second-hand books at reasonable prices. It does pay to shop around.
Sometimes if you're lucky you can pick up a job lot of Sharpe books on ebay.

I have quite a few of them, but they were bought over the years, so not as painful. However one of my sons has run off with most of them. Never mind, i know where he lives!

Seeing knights were generally mounted, I guess that armour was designed with that in mind, though apparently a knight was supposed to be able to mount and dismount in full armour by himself if there was no handy squire around. The idea of knights needing cranes and ladders etc to get on a horse is aother one of those Victorian ones, I think.
Last edited by annis on Wed October 8th, 2008, 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Wed October 8th, 2008, 7:06 pm

Hi Annis....Through the years I have read 98% of Sharpie's exploits., except "Trafalgar"....Read many of them over and over....I might have to go the way of one here and one there....but I'm hoping to find a complete set on EBay....I can't imagine facing one those Knights in full armour...A scary thought....

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Wed October 8th, 2008, 8:45 pm

Chuck, there are links on the "Napoleonic" page at http://www.HistoricalNovels.info for all the Sharpe novels, plus a Sharpe short story collection, to ordering information for used copies at Powell's Books. All of the books are available. Prices are pretty reasonable, and there is no charge for postage for orders totaling $50 and up. Of course, this is a mixed bag of hardcover, trade paper, and mass market paperback copies, but if you can't find a matched set of hardcover editions, this might be a good option. I've noticed that Amazon's prices for used books are not as cheap as they seem, because that $3.99 postage charge gets tacked on to each book ordered, unless you can arrange to order more than one book at a time from the same subcontractor (something I've never managed).
Last edited by Margaret on Wed October 8th, 2008, 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Wed October 8th, 2008, 8:52 pm

Annis, your sons are lucky. It's so nice to have books in the family. I spent many happy hours as a teenager browsing through my parents' bookshelves for something interesting to read that I might not have picked out for myself at a library, and pretty much always found something worthwhile. It's a wonderful gift to a child to have a well-stocked bookshelf at home!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Wed October 8th, 2008, 9:08 pm

Amen to that.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu October 9th, 2008, 1:12 am

[quote=""Margaret""]Chuck, there are links on the "Napoleonic" page at http://www.HistoricalNovels.info for all the Sharpe novels, plus a Sharpe short story collection, to ordering information for used copies at Powell's Books. All of the books are available. Prices are pretty reasonable, and there is no charge for postage for orders totaling $50 and up. Of course, this is a mixed bag of hardcover, trade paper, and mass market paperback copies, but if you can't find a matched set of hardcover editions, this might be a good option. I've noticed that Amazon's prices for used books are not as cheap as they seem, because that $3.99 postage charge gets tacked on to each book ordered, unless you can arrange to order more than one book at a time from the same subcontractor (something I've never managed).[/quote]

Thank You Margaret....Through the years I have read all but Trafalgar....Really enjoy Sharpie.... When I need a comfort read. I always gravitate towards BC's novels....

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu October 9th, 2008, 6:24 am

In a great act of maternal sacrifice, I''ve let one of my sons borrow "Azincourt" before I've had a chance to read it myself - couldn't resist that hopeful look- still gets me after all these years!

chuck
Bibliophile

Boyish Charm

Post by chuck » Thu October 9th, 2008, 2:24 pm

[quote=""annis""]In a great act of maternal sacrifice, I''ve let one of my sons borrow "Azincourt" before I've had a chance to read it myself - couldn't resist that hopeful look- still gets me after all these years![/quote]

Annis....Most men have been blessed with that Boyish Charm.....
Last edited by chuck on Thu October 9th, 2008, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: addition

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu October 9th, 2008, 6:19 pm

Yeah, they need it when they're teenagers and borrow the car then crash it!

Of course, I'm to blame for infecting my soms with my own passion for historical fiction, fantasy and crime series. I remember when my youngest son was about 8 talking with his teacher. She gave me a funny look and said- "You must have some interesting discussions at your place- Callum's just been telling me all about the Battle of Actium!"

chuck
Bibliophile

Parenting...

Post by chuck » Thu October 9th, 2008, 6:28 pm

[quote=""annis""]Yeah, they need it when they're teenagers and borrow the car then crash it!

Of course, I'm to blame for infecting my soms with my own passion for historical fiction, fantasy and crime series. I remember when my youngest son was about 8 talking with his teacher. She gave me a funny look and said- "You must have some interesting discussions at your place- Callum's just been telling me all about the Battle of Actium!"[/quote]

Now there's a smart Lad....At times I remember correcting/amplifying my History Teacher....in a nice way....I chalk up to engaging and intelligent parents....Good Job!

Return to “Questions and Research”