Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This is why you're huge...

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu October 28th, 2010, 11:27 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]I couldn't drink tea with a meal, not a full meal anyway :eek: , I have it with lunch but that's usually just a sandwich.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that coffee houses were very popular in England a few hundred years ago - can't remember exactly when! :rolleyes: - but I'm pretty sure there was a famous coffee house in York at one time.[/quote]

Further to this conversation, on one of the quizzes last night a question was: what first opened in London in 1652?

answer: A coffee house.

So coffee has been around for quite a while in the UK, well London anyway, although I'm not sure how many folks could afford to drink it.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu October 28th, 2010, 2:47 pm

Curious as to why tea caught on in the British Isles, rather than coffee -- ?? Both were from the East, so my guess would be that they were equally expensive..... I know that whenever a novel mentions an English person drinking coffee I am always "surprised" -- guess I expect them to drink nothing but tea! Shows how little I know! :o

How are you liking Mariana, by the way? I really want to read that, but my library doesn't have it, so I will either have to ILL it or buy it.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu October 28th, 2010, 6:02 pm

I'm quite enjoying the book at the moment, no fireworks but it's an easy read and quite atmospheric.

It was recently re-issued in the UK, so perhaps you might be able to find out on one of the internet booksites, perhaps a decent used copy? Good luck!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Chat”