Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Need help finding a cover

Trying to remember a title or an author? Want to know who or what a particular novel is about? Want a recommendation for books about a particular person or period? Post here!
Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed October 27th, 2010, 10:35 pm

Hee hee you should draw your own faces on there. You know, the round yellow smiley kind. :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed October 27th, 2010, 11:28 pm

That's a thought. I showed the *mutilated* cover to the accountant and he didn't quite understand our issue. Tried to explain about the cover slut obsession and he looked at me like I'd sprouted horns... :( :confused:
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu October 28th, 2010, 12:10 am

Oh, well, you know accountants are a weird breed. I can say that because I R 1. One of my managers says the reason I'm not warped is because I got my CPA license later in my career; therefore I was already a well-established "normal" person before I became a CPA. :p My other manager thinks I am warped because whenever I eat M&Ms, I sort them by color first! (I guess the weird accountant in me comes out whether I want it to or not!) :p
Last edited by Michy on Thu October 28th, 2010, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu October 28th, 2010, 12:22 am

[quote=""Michy""]Oh, well, you know accountants are a weird breed. I can say that because I R 1. One of my managers says the reason I'm not warped is because I got my CPA license later in my career; therefore I was already a well-established "normal" person before I became a CPA. :p My other manager thinks I am warped because whenever I eat M&Ms, I sort them by color first! (I guess the weird accountant in me comes out whether I want it to or not!) :p [/quote]

I always ask him what the name of the class is wherein they taught that skill ;)

Lol, he can only have yellow sticky notes (no other color). Must have more than enough of everything on hand even though a click here will bring supplies the next day. And you do not want to know about the time the toilet stopped up and he wanted to know who took care of it. Let alone the other time the hand soap dispenser ran out and he wanted to know who bought more (uh, there's a big ole' jug that anyone can use to refill).

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu October 28th, 2010, 4:47 pm

My little sorting-M&Ms-by-color habit sounds pretty harmless by comparison. You don't have to have OCD to be a good accountant, but it helps. :p

ETA: I got my start in accounting years ago when I went to work for a sole proprietor CPA. He got to work very early in the morning, and when I showed up at 8 I would find the pens and pencils in my penholder turned over (because he didn't like the way I put them in) and the adding machine tape would be out of my machine and lying on my desk (because I had put it in the "wrong" way). Anything I had on my desk -- even personal stuff -- he considered fair game because it was in "his" office and he would rifle through it. Amazingly, I put up with him for 10 years before I left for greener pastures! Nowadays I probably wouldn't put up with it without saying something, but I was only 22....... He drove his wife nuts, though, because he was always re-arranging the cupboards and refrigerator at home because she didn't do it the "right" way.
Last edited by Michy on Thu October 28th, 2010, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 29th, 2010, 9:08 pm

[quote=""Michy""]My little sorting-M&Ms-by-color habit sounds pretty harmless by comparison. You don't have to have OCD to be a good accountant, but it helps. :p

ETA: I got my start in accounting years ago when I went to work for a sole proprietor CPA. He got to work very early in the morning, and when I showed up at 8 I would find the pens and pencils in my penholder turned over (because he didn't like the way I put them in) and the adding machine tape would be out of my machine and lying on my desk (because I had put it in the "wrong" way). Anything I had on my desk -- even personal stuff -- he considered fair game because it was in "his" office and he would rifle through it. Amazingly, I put up with him for 10 years before I left for greener pastures! Nowadays I probably wouldn't put up with it without saying something, but I was only 22....... He drove his wife nuts, though, because he was always re-arranging the cupboards and refrigerator at home because she didn't do it the "right" way.[/quote]

At the risk of going OT and having to moderate myself I've recalled one more story, and this is the controller before the one we have now. He insisted that we fill out purchase orders (pricing included) before making a Costco run. WTF?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 4:32 pm

Sorry to dump on you EMR but you are so resourceful :) :o

ISBN #0-312-29892-7 Forget the Glory Emma Drummond

ISBN #0-312-07773-4 Beyond all Frontiers Emma Drummond

I did find one poor quality of the Beyond All Frontiers at Amazon and put it up at Goodreads if you need to swipe a portion to replace the ##@@!! library sticker.

Thanks, already have the jacket blurbs up at Goodreads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 4:55 pm

You must have a different edition of Beyond All Frontiers, Misfit. This is the cover of the one I read years ago
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/emm ... ntiers.htm

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 5:09 pm

[quote=""annis""]You must have a different edition of Beyond All Frontiers, Misfit. This is the cover of the one I read years ago
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/emm ... ntiers.htm[/quote]

I like that one better. Any idea what edition ISBN it is so I can put that cover up at Goodreads? I'm kind of OCD about wanting to get those up there. I found one other cover at Ebay, but without knowing what publisher/edition to stick it with I can't do much.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 5:12 pm

Misfit's edition of Beyond All Frontiers is the one I read. However, her edition of Forget the Glory doesn't look familiar; I must've read the one shown on Fantasticfiction.

Let us know how you like the books, Misfit!

Return to “Ask Your Fellow Readers”