Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So here's what has been going on

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu August 28th, 2008, 2:42 am

It seems that advertising historical novels on this site would be a no-brainer for generating a little support money. I know those ads don't generate all that much, but surely a forum aimed at a narrow target audience (HF readers) with many members gives an author more exposure than a blog?

Or at least it could as it becomes a better resource for more and more people.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu August 28th, 2008, 3:07 am

Are we in need of $$ here?

I really hate ads but if its the only way to keep this site running then yeah I guess we do what we must.

They also do little things over that the .org. If you donate eh 50 bucks then you can get a commission or something by one of the artists. Here I guess if you donate 50 bucks you could always get a signed book or something. That's if the authors would be willing to do that.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu August 28th, 2008, 8:26 am

Thanks for all your hard work, Marg! I felt quite lost!! It's nice to see familiar names/avatars (even if they've changed a little!!).

How bizarre and rude that no-one has returned your emails! I hope no-one has died or anything terrible - it would seem a bit strange that there was no contact at all. But 'nowt so queer as folk' as they say! As I was saying on another thread, I belong to another site which kept crashing due to hackers, so they had to set a completely new board up. It's amazing how quickly it's all built up again. I'm sure it'll be the same here.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu August 28th, 2008, 9:29 am

Not dead - just always in meetings, out of the office or otherwise unavailable!

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu August 28th, 2008, 9:31 am

[quote=""Divia""]Are we in need of $$ here?

I really hate ads but if its the only way to keep this site running then yeah I guess we do what we must.

They also do little things over that the .org. If you donate eh 50 bucks then you can get a commission or something by one of the artists. Here I guess if you donate 50 bucks you could always get a signed book or something. That's if the authors would be willing to do that.[/quote]

Boswell and I are tossing some ideas around about this kind of thing. There'll be more about it in due course!

Cerridwen
Scribbler

Post by Cerridwen » Thu August 28th, 2008, 11:59 am

Thanks Marg, and sorry to hear of the great difficulties you had I'm sure this forum will be bigger and better.

Well done!

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu August 28th, 2008, 12:19 pm

Be careful with making dues. Donations, great, but once they are no longer voluntary, the site suddenly looses steam and members. I've seen that happen on two forums I've been on. I prefer ads over dues, FWIW, tho I would gladly make a donation if that would help

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu August 28th, 2008, 1:50 pm

Hmm, what about a flea market where we sell books that we have and all the donations go to the website. We could post the book here. I'm just throwing random thoughts out there..who knows if they are good or not. ;)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

amyb
Reader

Post by amyb » Thu August 28th, 2008, 5:06 pm

Thanks Marg! I really appreciate everyone's hard work that went into this new site. I love it already and can't wait to see how pretty it looks once all of you talented people get a hold of it!

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Thu August 28th, 2008, 5:26 pm

Thank you to all those who put our new forum together. I appreciate your hard work.

Return to “Chat”