Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Zemindar by Valerie Fitzgerald

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed October 27th, 2010, 3:01 pm

I just checked on Amazon :) . The Far Pavilions-type one is Beyond All Frontiers. The Shanghai one is The Bridge of a Hundred Dragons. I can't remember much about them except that I enjoyed them. I know I read more than just these two, but the others have escaped my memory entirely. :)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed October 27th, 2010, 3:14 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I just checked on Amazon :) . The Far Pavilions-type one is Beyond All Frontiers. The Shanghai one is The Bridge of a Hundred Dragons. I can't remember much about them except that I enjoyed them. I know I read more than just these two, but the others have escaped my memory entirely. :) [/quote]

I have read Scarlet Shadows, The Rice Dragon and The Burning Land, of which I seem to recall the first 2 were the most memorable. There's a list at Fantastic Fiction. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/emma-drummond/
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed October 27th, 2010, 3:17 pm

Thanks for the link! I read A Captive Freedom, also. Very good book about the War in the Crimea and the suicidal Charge of the Light Brigade. With a romance, of course, all of Drummond's books center on a romance. :) I'm sure I read more, but like I said, they've escaped me....

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed October 27th, 2010, 3:43 pm

Oh cool, my county has the Knightshill saga, plus Beyond all Frontiers, Bridge of a Hundred Dragons, and Forget the Glory.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed October 27th, 2010, 3:51 pm

If you try her, let us know what you think. My recollection is that her writing is very enjoyable (and her settings are widely varied, which is nice), although not as strong or memorable as M.M. Kaye or Valerie Fitzgerald. I just loved Fitzgerald's Bronte-esque way with language. If you encounter anyone else who writes like that (besides the classics, of course!) please let me know!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed October 27th, 2010, 3:54 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Oh cool, my county has the Knightshill saga, plus Beyond all Frontiers, Bridge of a Hundred Dragons, and Forget the Glory.[/quote]

There ya go - almost instant gratification! :D
Agree 100% with Michy's assessment. Not so much of a class act as Kaye and FitzGerald but still very enjoyable.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed October 27th, 2010, 4:17 pm

[quote=""Michy""]If you try her, let us know what you think. My recollection is that her writing is very enjoyable (and her settings are widely varied, which is nice), although not as strong or memorable as M.M. Kaye or Valerie Fitzgerald. I just loved Fitzgerald's Bronte-esque way with language. If you encounter anyone else who writes like that (besides the classics, of course!) please let me know![/quote]

I like the idea of the different locales. Plus the mystery of books with no reviews or story description.

**must stop again and kiss the ground the library is built upon**
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed October 27th, 2010, 4:32 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]
**must stop again and kiss the ground the library is built upon**[/quote]

I can't go quite that far - ;) - but considering how much I've used the library this past year, I won't grumble when my property tax bill comes. (Remind me of this, when I gripe about how much I pay in property taxes). ;)

Return to “By Author's Last Name A-F”