Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Why you shouldn't buy an e reader

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Tue September 7th, 2010, 4:29 am

Today...when I walk in a B&N or a Boarder's...I smell Starbucks coffee....

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Fri October 22nd, 2010, 3:59 am

Out of all the new tech products out there, I was actually considering getting an e-reader. Strange for me because I don't own a smartphone, GPS device, any game system, iPods, iPads, HDtv, Blu-ray players, etc, etc. etc. The only new tech device I have is a cellphone, and it's a simple one, not a smartphone...and I only got it (my first) earlier this year. I simply don't need any of these type of gadgets. However, an e-reader fascinated me. Still, I decided against purchasing one. The only advantage I can see is the lower cost of new books. I kind of laugh when I see these e-readers advertised as being able to hold hundreds of books. I mean, who needs to have hundreds of books at their fingertips? Five or six would be good enough for me if I'm on a month long trip. Also, I'm also afraid of taking it somewhere and losing it.
I only buy brand new books from my favourite authors, such as Ken Follett's new book, Fall of Giants. Others, I just check out free from the library and I can renew them as many times as I need to....at no cost, of course.

I only read maybe 7 books a year, depending on whether they are 1000 pages or only 350. I love to read, but I also love quite a few tv shows, I go to lots of local music gigs, and I spend a good deal of time on the computer. I also am not a speed reader, plus reading for more than 2 hrs. at a time tires my eyes.
Last edited by laktor on Wed October 27th, 2010, 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

N. Gemini Sasson
Reader

Post by N. Gemini Sasson » Tue October 26th, 2010, 5:54 pm

I'm eager to purchase an e-reader, too, but with one kid in college, another going next year and me taking classes soon, too . . . it's really on the backburner of expenses right now! I've also been expecting the price to come way down and it already is.

In the meanwhile, I have Kindle for PC on both my desktop and laptop. It's FREE! I download Kindle books and take them on vacation on my laptop, since I take the laptop anyway for the internet. That way I don't have to lug books along, in addition to everything else.
Last edited by N. Gemini Sasson on Tue October 26th, 2010, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue October 26th, 2010, 8:15 pm

I love my kindle! I just read a book for my book group that was purest crud -- but since I bought the thing cheap in kindle format, I can toss it painlessly. Usually I have to pay full price for book-club books, many of which I don't like.

DebB
Scribbler

Post by DebB » Tue October 26th, 2010, 8:21 pm

I would LOVE an e-reader because I love gadgets -- however, I am too cheap. Like Misfit, I get most of my books from the library (which is so conveniently located that I'm there 2-3 times a week), used book stores (also conveniently located), and on-line book swaps. I thought it might be especially handy to have an e-reader for travel so I wouldn't have to lug my books around -- but then I heard a horror story from my neighbor. Apparently, when her plane was stuck on the tarmac for a couple hours, the flight attendants wouldn't let passengers turn on their electronics, including e-readers. Can you imagine being stuck on a plane for that long and not being able to read??!! Oh, the horror....

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed October 27th, 2010, 11:45 am

[quote=""DebB""]I would LOVE an e-reader because I love gadgets -- however, I am too cheap. Like Misfit, I get most of my books from the library (which is so conveniently located that I'm there 2-3 times a week), used book stores (also conveniently located), and on-line book swaps. I thought it might be especially handy to have an e-reader for travel so I wouldn't have to lug my books around -- but then I heard a horror story from my neighbor. Apparently, when her plane was stuck on the tarmac for a couple hours, the flight attendants wouldn't let passengers turn on their electronics, including e-readers. Can you imagine being stuck on a plane for that long and not being able to read??!! Oh, the horror....[/quote]

Wouldn't have happened if you'd had a real book.....! ;) I love it when people crack up cos their technology has failed them. ;)
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Sat October 30th, 2010, 7:16 pm

Ok, I finally looked at and held an actual e-reader today at my local Chapters store. It was the Kobo e-reader. If it wasn't for the fact that I could really save money on my reading material by downloading instead of purchasing a physical copy of a book, I would never, ever consider this type of device. I spent two hours browsing in the store and I found that you just can't replace that wonderful feeling of turning fresh new pages of a paperback or hardback book. If I found the time to be an absolute voracious reader with very little money, I still may consider an e-reader, but it won't be any time soon.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Sat October 30th, 2010, 7:20 pm

I just read a book for my book group that was purest crud
!!! This is exactly what I'd like a Kindle for, although I haven't bought one yet. I'm too afraid it'll be a waste of money and I'll prefer paperbacks. Still, the cheap books are so, so tempting...
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun October 31st, 2010, 3:16 am

[quote=""laktor""]If it wasn't for the fact that I could really save money on my reading material by downloading instead of purchasing a physical copy of a book, I would never, ever consider this type of device. [/quote]

The accountant in me :D just HAS to point out that to truly know how much an e-reader will save you, you have to figure in the cost of the e-reader itself. How many books will you have to download to save enough to recoup the cost of the e-reader? When people calculate how much something will save them -- whether it be an e-reader or anything else -- too often they forget to figure in the cost of the money-saving device itself. :)

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sun October 31st, 2010, 3:26 pm

[quote=""MLE""]I love my kindle! I just read a book for my book group that was purest crud -- but since I bought the thing cheap in kindle format, I can toss it painlessly. Usually I have to pay full price for book-club books, many of which I don't like.[/quote]

I've tried a few junk food reads that were cheap, and the eReader is great for those that are free or cheap and you don't have to worry about what to do with the darn thing when you're done. I find that for some of these low cost books I don't mind taking chances on whether I'll like them or not because enough of them have satisfied me for what they were intended for. On the other hand, I know I've resented buying a book for a book club read that I felt rather meh about and nobody bothered to discuss.

Return to “Chat”