Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue September 21st, 2010, 12:00 am

Kids' computer appears to have either a virus or some really bad malware. Should be fixable, but I'll have to keep it offline most of the time now just in case.

Anybody know of a good free anti-virus program? AntiVir doesn't seem to be working.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue September 21st, 2010, 12:51 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Kids' computer appears to have either a virus or some really bad malware. Should be fixable, but I'll have to keep it offline most of the time now just in case.

Anybody know of a good free anti-virus program? AntiVir doesn't seem to be working.[/quote]

I downloaded Spybot - Search & Destroy (freeware) last time I had a malware situation and it solved the problem. The malware was hijacking the browser so it was difficult to get control of the machine long enough to start the scan, but we managed it eventually.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue September 21st, 2010, 9:36 pm

Thing with the computer actually ended up ok. Apparently the various security programs did catch it, just not quite as fast as I did.

Today on the way home from another town the radio went out...as did the clock...then the brake light came on...and a turn indicator wouldn't stop...plus an airbag alarm started going, the windows and locks froze, and the air conditioning wouldn't turn off. Just barely made it to the shop that we use, which is on our way home as well. I'm glad we never got the lock on the front passenger side door fixed. Had to crawl in back to get our daughter out and get her booster seat out, as the side doors wouldn't open. We got a ride home as well, and beat the first school-kid by about 5 minutes (the one who is terrified of us not being here when he gets off the bus at the end of the day).

I thought I was tired and my head hurt this morning. This post-event stuff is worse. Also our youngest son tried to get out at the wrong house (deliberately) and may have to start riding home from school alone. What a day!
Last edited by LoveHistory on Tue September 21st, 2010, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Tue September 28th, 2010, 8:26 pm

Allergies, a cold, and a migraine. Not a great trifecta!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed September 29th, 2010, 12:03 am

Hope you feel better soon, rockygirl.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Wed September 29th, 2010, 9:41 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Hope you feel better soon, rockygirl.[/quote]

Thanks. Still sick today.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed September 29th, 2010, 10:04 pm

[quote=""rockygirl""]Thanks. Still sick today.[/quote]

Sorry to hear that, rockygirl: I have a close friend who suffers appallingly from migraine. Hope tomorrow will be better!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun October 10th, 2010, 5:49 pm

GRRR! I'm in a very bad mood! There will most likely not be a cost of living adjustment for Social Security payees, which includes my mom, me and Harmony!

Also our washer and dryer are both on the fritz and the one guy who fixes appliances on this god forsaken island has been on vacation and was supposed to be back last Monday!

Expletive Scream Expletive, you get the picture!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun October 10th, 2010, 8:49 pm

Yeah, we're affected by the lack of COLA too.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

The annual insult to Londoners

Post by Miss Moppet » Thu October 21st, 2010, 6:09 pm

Fare rises of up to 50% on tubes and buses. No sign of any improvement in services - when they aren't cancelled altogether because of strikes or engineering works, that is - but once again, massive above-inflation hikes.

Edited to say: I tell a lie, it's up to 74% according to the article, depending on what ticket you buy.

Return to “Chat”