Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

October 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed October 13th, 2010, 3:14 am

[quote=""LoobyG""]Look forward to hearing how you get on with the 4th Williamsburg book Michy :) [/quote]

I'm enjoying it very much so far. Like Ever After, the setting started out in Williamsburg but moved quickly to England. And like Ever After, there is a case of thwarted love-at-first-sight.....

She's added a character Rosalind, whose story line is pretty enthralling.......
Last edited by Michy on Wed October 13th, 2010, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed October 13th, 2010, 2:12 pm

Grabbed an old shelf sitter to read this time, The Adventurer, by Mika Waltari. The story proper begins in 1509 and I believe this ends with the sack of Rome in 1527. Unfortunately, there is a sequel, which I don't have... may have to look for it if I like this one.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed October 13th, 2010, 4:39 pm

I've finished "Carpe Demon: Adventures of a Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom" by Julie Kenner (360pgs, 2005). A good book, slightly laggy at times, but an over all good read, plan to read more from the series eventually.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu October 14th, 2010, 7:39 pm

Currently reading “Fool’s Crusade” latest novel in the Petroc series by Pip Vaughan-Hughes- see earlier thread here:

http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... .php?t=645

Some years have passed since the tragedy of Montségur. Petroc, his lover Iselda and friend Isaac have put their energies into successfully running a bank in Venice. However just as Petroc thinks he might like to retire, the bank becomes an object of interest to the Holy Roman Emperor, Frederick II and his sworn enemy Pope Innocent. Both want access to the bank’s considerable funds and will do anything to get them. Then there’s King Louis of France, about to set off on the Seventh Crusade. He wants money too.

I think this series is excellent. There’s plenty of intrigue and action, the characters are well-drawn, and Vaughan-Hughes features some interesting bits of medieval history not generally covered in HF.
Last edited by annis on Sat October 16th, 2010, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 15th, 2010, 2:59 pm

Finished Sky O'Malley by Betrice Small. That will be my first and last from her also :mad:

Just started The Lady's Slipper by Deborah Swift this morning. Very promising as far as I got.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat October 16th, 2010, 3:48 pm

I've just finished the brilliant London Belongs to Me by Norman Collins and I'm just about to start The Three Weissmanns of Westport by Cathleen Schine, a book I have to review by next Thursday for a book magazine! :eek: Teach me to volunteer! LOL.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat October 16th, 2010, 6:42 pm

I've finished "Seeking Spirits: The Lost Cases of The Atlantic Paranormal Society" by Jason Hawes & Grant Wilson w/ Michael J. Friedman (273pgs, 2009). Put out by the people who do the show "Ghost Hunters" another interesting book about some of their past cases. Very interesting and humorous at times - like the woman and her friend who thought the screaming, moaning and banging on the walls they heard every Friday night was a sign of a haunting but turned out that she had a neighbour in the next apt who was just bringing home a date from a club and having sex!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat October 16th, 2010, 6:57 pm

Posted by Ludmilla
Grabbed an old shelf sitter to read this time, The Adventurer, by Mika Waltari. The story proper begins in 1509 and I believe this ends with the sack of Rome in 1527. Unfortunately, there is a sequel, which I don't have... may have to look for it if I like this one.
I have the sequel, The Wanderer, sitting on my shelves, but not the first one. I never got round to reading it because I originally bought it thinking it was the prequel to Dark Angel, Waltari's novel about the Fall of Constantinople to the Turks. It's a bit confusing with some of these older novels trying to work out what goes with what, especially when there's often not much information around. As far as I can tell the book I was looking for, Young Johannes (Nuori Johannes), has never made it into English translation, darn it!
Last edited by annis on Sat October 16th, 2010, 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sat October 16th, 2010, 7:40 pm

Alas!....I remember back in the day reading MW's "The Egyptian" if I remember... it was enjoyable and pretty sexy/hot reading for the time......

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat October 16th, 2010, 8:15 pm

Lessee --

A friend of J's lent me his copy of Storm Front by Jim Butcher -- interesting, but I'm not really into paranormal stuff.

Finishing up Ann Rule's In the Still of the Night, her latest 'true-crime' book. Very disturbing, to say the least. I'll definitely need something light after this one.

Return to “Archives”