Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

October 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri October 8th, 2010, 8:57 am

[quote=""Berengaria""]Thank you for the info! I started to read the book and then turned to something else. The stacks of TBR I have in this house is scandalous![/quote]

You're not the only one with that scandal! ;)

Have a fab time over here Tanzanite, and a safe trip.

I've now started "The Ghost Writer", looks like it might be a dual time-frame.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri October 8th, 2010, 2:18 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]Fiction or nonfiction? For fiction, one of my favorites is Jude Morgan's The King's Touch about James, Duke of Monmouth. Susan Holloway Scott has written a novel about Sarah Churchill and several novels about various royal mistresses. Jean Plaidy, of course, has written a number of novel set during this period.[/quote]

Thanks Bowsell. I'm not particular about fiction or nonfiction, but I do tend to lead towards fiction in my purchases. Thank you for the recommendcation of The King's Touch. I started reading Susan Holloway Scott's Duchess this morning and I am already hooked (but curious about the references made to Charles II, John Monmouth and others since I know very little about this time frame.
Brenna

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Fri October 8th, 2010, 4:40 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I didn't care for this one quite as much as the first two -- curious to know what you think. I have just one more book to read and then I'll start #4, The Light Heart. :) [/quote]

I'll post my thoughts when I finish Michy, I'm quite sad that the action moves away from Williamsburg in this book - I don't know yet whether the family in London will hold the same charm for me. I'm glad more of the protagonists from Yankee Stranger are alive in the book, bit more continuity!

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Fri October 8th, 2010, 10:50 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Just about to start "The Ghost Writer" by John Harwood, a Halloween read for my other bookgroup. Not sure if it's HF yet![/quote]
Do you mind if I ask if the other group is online? I am thoroughly enjoying this forum and looking for others in the realm of horror/ghost and mystery/thriller.
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Fri October 8th, 2010, 10:53 pm

[quote=""Berengaria""]Do you mind if I ask if the other group is online? I am thoroughly enjoying this forum and looking for others in the realm of horror/ghost and mystery/thriller.[/quote]
And I have a copy of The Ghost Writer somewhere in my house...in one of my TBR lists!
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Fri October 8th, 2010, 11:34 pm

[quote=""Berengaria""] The stacks of TBR I have in this house is scandalous![/quote]

Mine too! I refuse to feel guilty about it. :)

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sat October 9th, 2010, 12:32 am

Ross Poldark by Winston Graham. About 60 pages in. I'm really enjoying the author's style.

(For those who read my question/observation about Cornwall as a setting for HF in the "King Arthur/Robin Hood" thread -- I'm back in my old HF stomping ground) :)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat October 9th, 2010, 5:49 am

Brenna , if you're interested in Charles II, I recommend Antonia Fraser's biography, King Charles II: his Life and Times. It may be out of print now, but you might be able to get it through your library. The one I had was an illustrated one- like Alice in Wonderland I'm a great believer in illustrations :)

Have you come across the Royalty.nu website? They have useful lists of books (both fiction and non-fiction) about various members of royalty.
Here's the list for Charles II
http://www.royalty.nu/Europe/England/St ... lesII.html

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sat October 9th, 2010, 6:28 am

Queen of this Realm by Jean Plaidy (My Ren Faire book)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat October 9th, 2010, 11:29 am

[quote=""Berengaria""]Do you mind if I ask if the other group is online? I am thoroughly enjoying this forum and looking for others in the realm of horror/ghost and mystery/thriller.[/quote]

Hi Berengaria, yes it is an online group, I'll pm you with more info. :)
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Archives”