Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Greetings from Malaysia

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Shield-of-Dardania
Reader

Post by Shield-of-Dardania » Fri October 8th, 2010, 4:41 pm

[quote=""Ash""]See, I'd love to read that! While Im familiar with the time period in Europe and the Middle East, SE Asia a part of the world I know very little about. Please do keep us posted as to your writing, Im interested in knowing more. As a matter of fact, what HF of the regions ancient history would you recommend?

Welcome![/quote]
I just finished the English version of the draft prologue for book 1, and gave it to a friend to glance through. Maybe I'll post some extracts of it later.

Problem is, once posted, it can't be edited or erased after a certain period of time has elapsed, right?

Honestly, I haven't come across any English language HF that I noticed and liked for the SEA region. Maybe they exist but I just haven't found them. Either that or they're just on their own local market and not circulating on the international scene. Going by what I see in Malaysia regarding local works, genres like HF, SF, general adult fiction etc. are not yet fully developed in terms of either demand or supply. But I'll let you know if I find something worth recommending later.
Last edited by Shield-of-Dardania on Fri October 8th, 2010, 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Shield-of-Dardania
Reader

Post by Shield-of-Dardania » Fri October 8th, 2010, 4:43 pm

[quote=""cat""]Greetings and welcome to the forum!![/quote]
Hi Cat, thanks.

Shield-of-Dardania
Reader

Post by Shield-of-Dardania » Fri October 8th, 2010, 5:03 pm

repeat post, PC problem, deleted.
Last edited by Shield-of-Dardania on Fri October 8th, 2010, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shield-of-Dardania
Reader

Post by Shield-of-Dardania » Fri October 8th, 2010, 5:25 pm

[quote=""parthianbow""]Hi Shield, and welcome to this forum, which is an excellent place to hang out. Your books sound very interesting indeed, and could well have potential internationally. The inclusion of a slave from Constantinople is an excellent idea, as you might find that character adds appeal to European and/or US markets/readers. Sad, but I think true.
I'd love to see some of your material posted up on the site sometime! :) [/quote]
Hi ParthianBow, thanks. Yes, this is a cool place indeed. Appreciate your interest and encouragement.

I noticed your nic before, much earlier, cos it sort of had a similar West Asian theme to mine, but somehow your real name and your books escaped my attention until recently, although I've glanced through the blurb of 'Forgotten Legion' before (the book was under plastic wrapping, no chance to browse).

But I have it in my collection now, I just had to buy it after browsing through 'Silver Eagle' (which was not wrapped up) and gauging its style, cos it's just the genre that I like. Your style reminds me a bit of David Gemmel, hope you don't mind the comparison, I mean it in a positive way. There's a lot I intend to learn from you, and other guys like you. I hope you wouldn't mind sharing your experiences with guys like me. I mean, you made a bestseller, mate.

There were two slaves in my story, actually. One was a 12 year old Saxon girl, the other a 5 year old mixed Turkmen-Bolgar orphan boy, and they'll both play major parts in the years and decades to come, in the story of book 1. But by the time they took ship and sailed eastward, they were already both freed people. I don't know, they both sort of appeared, revealed themselves, without me planning it from the start. Serendipitous, like. So I just went along with it.
Last edited by Shield-of-Dardania on Fri October 8th, 2010, 6:43 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Shield-of-Dardania
Reader

Post by Shield-of-Dardania » Fri October 8th, 2010, 5:36 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]Belated welcome to the forum--I've been away for awhile. I love reading about different places and time periods. As several people have said--story is all! If you've got a good story, you'll find an audience. Have fun![/quote]
Hi FLJustice, thanks. Yes, I'll keep that in mind. I shall.
Last edited by Shield-of-Dardania on Fri October 8th, 2010, 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shield-of-Dardania
Reader

Post by Shield-of-Dardania » Fri October 8th, 2010, 5:41 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Welcome to the forum. Great to know historical fiction is being written and read all over the world.[/quote]
Hi SweetPotatoBoy, thanks. Me too.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”