Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu August 28th, 2008, 5:56 am

Polar Star by Martin Cruz Smith, and finished Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay yesterday. Still have Privilege and Scandal for nonfiction right now, about the sister of Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu August 28th, 2008, 8:11 am

I have about 20 pages to go in The Devil's Horse by Cynthia Harrod Eagles (the 16th in the Morland Dynasty series, nearly half way!!).

Lady Kippen
Scribbler

Post by Lady Kippen » Thu August 28th, 2008, 12:56 pm

Working my way through the Twilight series. I'm almost finished with Eclipse and then it's on to Breaking Dawn. I'm really glad that I didn't start this series until all the books were out, I don't know if I could have patiently waited for the next one to come out. They're really quick and easy reads. Something totally different for me.

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Thu August 28th, 2008, 2:57 pm

Four Queens - about the Count of Provence in the 1200s who marries off all four of his daughters as queens.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu August 28th, 2008, 3:28 pm

Finally finished "These Three Remain" by Pamela Aidan. Now I'm going to try to finish a book I've been reading on and off for a few months in between booksfree packages.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu August 28th, 2008, 7:23 pm

I've just started A Stain on Silence by Andrew Taylor. It's a book I received as freebie from Penguin for their summer blog. It's a contemporary psychological mystery - I very much enjoyed The American Boy by the same author which was set in the early 1800s and I like his writing style, so hope that I enjoy this one just as much. I'm actually looking forward to reading his next period mystery (I think it is set in Victorian times), Bleeding Heart Square - it's out now in hardback but I'm going to wait until it's available in paperback.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri August 29th, 2008, 12:06 am

[quote=""Margaret""]The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss. It's an advance review copy; the book goes on sale at the end of September.[/quote]

How was it? I've only read A Conspiracy of Paper, and I was very impressed by it. I'm guessing from the title that it is set just after the American Revolution.

xiaotien
Reader

Post by xiaotien » Fri August 29th, 2008, 1:01 am

i am currently reading the unicorn
by iris murdoch. she's one of my
favorite authors. not exactly historical
ficiton--but mostly set in the 1950s - 60s
in england.
SILVER PHOENIX : Beyond the Kingdom of Xia
greenwillow / harpercollins summer '09

cindypon.com

Melisende
Reader

Post by Melisende » Fri August 29th, 2008, 1:22 am

Just finished "The Sweet Trade" - about to start "Godiva"
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History

Tambo
Scribbler

Post by Tambo » Fri August 29th, 2008, 7:39 am

[quote=""xiaotien""]i am currently reading the unicorn
by iris murdoch. she's one of my
favorite authors. [/quote]

Someone at my local book group was raving about Iris Murdoch this week.

The Sea, The Sea I think it was, they were very much a fan of that one. Have you read it?

Return to “Archives”