Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

September 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue September 28th, 2010, 3:57 pm

[quote=""Russ Whitfield""]I've always quite fancied Jack Whyte's series, but I've not quite got round to sorting out ordering it. Things to do list![/quote]

It is a great series, really worth the investment. It is very different from Mary Stewart's series on Arthur, but a "good" different.
Brenna

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue September 28th, 2010, 4:20 pm

Just started... The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue September 28th, 2010, 4:27 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Telynor

Is this Barbara Hambly? Dragonsbane is one of my favourite BH novels. She's been on my must-read list ever since I discovered her Darwath trilogy back in the '80s. I love the Ladies of Mandrigyn as well.

Her HF is not to be sneezed at either. Search the Seven Hills aka the Quirinal Affair is set in ancient Rome and is a story about early Christianity - excellent - and the Benjamin January mystery series set in 19th century New Orleans are also very good.[/quote]

Yes it is! I've been reading her books, since, oh, forever. There's been a few clunkers in there, but on the whole, she's great.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue September 28th, 2010, 5:20 pm

I downloaded Rival to the Queen by Carrolly Erickson today. So far, so good.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue September 28th, 2010, 8:46 pm

[quote=""javagirl""]C.W. - Thanks for sharing about The Astronomer. I've been pondering whether to get that one. Also, will be interested to hear what you think of The Eight. Had it in my hands to get from the library a while back and a good friend of mine whose reading opinions I usually share told me not to bother and I put it back. But I've wondered about it several times since then.
[/quote]

I will. A friend recommended The Eight to me; I'm traveling these next ten days so it seemed like a good travel companion book. Just in case, I'm also bringing Idelonso Falcones's La Mano de Fatima (Hand of Fatima) which, despite the monumental success of his Cathedral by the Sea , will apparently not be published in the US. This second novel has a great premise - the Moorish insurrections of the 1500s - but it's also a serious tome, clocking in at 945 pages!
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue September 28th, 2010, 11:01 pm

Been reading The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell the last couple of days.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue September 28th, 2010, 11:40 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Been reading The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell the last couple of days.[/quote]

IIRC you are a Cornwell virgin (as am I).

I'm reading Seventrees by Janice Young Brooks. 1800's Kansas, three generations of what I assume are strong female characters. Just me cuppa.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed September 29th, 2010, 11:08 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Been reading The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell the last couple of days.[/quote]

I just bought that a week ago. Please let me know what you think!
Brenna

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Wed September 29th, 2010, 11:24 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I was looking at recommendations over at Amazon UK and came across "Nemesis" by Philip Roth which is fairly new, so I'm thinking it's that one.

SM[/quote]

There is an Agatha Christie by that title, but I'm reading the Lindsay Davis one. It's the latest Marcus Didius Falco enstallment. I'm really liking it--it's been too long since I read one of her books.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu September 30th, 2010, 12:39 am

I"m about 3/4 of the way through The Last Kingdom and I am enjoying the story. Now that I'm reading it, it's not really the kind of thing I'm usually interested in but I heard such good things about it and Cornwell that I decided to give it a try. I'm sure I never would have picked it up on my own. I'll definately keep reading the series.

Return to “Archives”