Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Enchantress Saga by Nicola Thorne

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon September 27th, 2010, 8:44 pm

Umm- when it first came out? Are you less than impressed? :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon September 27th, 2010, 9:49 pm

[quote=""annis""]Umm- when it first came out? Are you less than impressed? :) [/quote]

That would be an understatement. It started off OK (but not great) and the writing was a bit uneven but things are unravelling big time. Another pal over at Goodreads started it as well and we've been buddying it, but I think she's bailing. I'm too close to the end now.

We will not discuss the need to make someone seem low class and tacky by picking his nose and eating it (in company no less) :mad: No, I am not kidding.

I cannot fathom how she keeps forgiving him after all the heaping abuse he's piled on her.

I'm surprised, usually those older books from the 70's and 80's are better than you think and I've found some great treasures that way.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue September 28th, 2010, 2:10 am

Sorry you're finding it a dog :( It's a long time since I read it, but I don't recall it being that much worse than a lot of the other stuff I read around then. I was probably more interested in the period detail, I guess.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Tue September 28th, 2010, 4:06 pm

Oh dear :( Maybe my copy should find its way to the charity shop! I'll have a flick through but I'm not too keen on the thought of nose picking... :rolleyes:

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue September 28th, 2010, 5:12 pm

[quote=""annis""]Sorry you're finding it a dog :( It's a long time since I read it, but I don't recall it being that much worse than a lot of the other stuff I read around then. I was probably more interested in the period detail, I guess.[/quote]

Eh, things happen. Let's see what Looby thinks of it.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue October 5th, 2010, 1:12 am

[quote=""annis""]Vanessa, I'm a bit puzzled by the synopsis of Rose, Rose Where Are You? (as Rosemary Ellerbeck) 1977

"The awesome Burgundian curse uttered by Joan of Arc echoes down the ages to strike a French noble family and a beautiful British historian in thrall to the Saint's legend.

'A captivating French Gothic romance with supernatural overtones . . .' (Publishers Weekly)'

I've never come across mention of a curse uttered by Joan of Arc- anyone know about this? Mind you, we are talking fiction here, right?[/quote]

I can't think of any curse Joan ever said. They may have cursed her though. :p Afterall they did call her a witch and all that good stuff.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “By Author's Last Name R-Z”