Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon September 20th, 2010, 7:14 pm

Russ.....Interesting post....I agree with everything you say with the exception of a few films I cannot tolerate....for the historical inaccuracies and my negative bias re: a few Actors...i.e.. Mel Gibson' Braveheart.....Kevin Costner's Robin Hood etc....For years I would let the inaccuracies ruin my judgement and enjoyment while watching the film....After reading George MacDonald Fraser's book about Hollywood and History.....A Shazam moment occurred....He was discussing many of the films that had numerous mistake on costumes set, weapons etc...etc....He made a brilliant point....He basically said sit back and enjoy the ride.....Where you can see Ancient Rome, The legions, knights in armour, Courts of the kings, Olde London Towne, Agincourt.....on and on...I have worked very hard on letting most of the inaccuracies go.....A good example Is Ridley's "Kingdom of Heaven"....many errors Templars did not hang their Knights in public, Balin and Sybil etc....but it was enjoyable and what a ride....BTW I recommend the Extended version.....Finally after watching most Historic films....I will invaribly do some further research .....

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sat September 25th, 2010, 9:02 pm

The Maltese Falcon. In the theatre.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sat September 25th, 2010, 9:02 pm

Predators

No-nonsense action - did what it said on the tin. :D
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Russ Whitfield
Reader

Post by Russ Whitfield » Mon September 27th, 2010, 8:37 am

[quote=""chuck""]Russ.....Interesting post....I agree with everything you say with the exception of a few films I cannot tolerate....for the historical inaccuracies and my negative bias re: a few Actors...i.e.. Mel Gibson' Braveheart.....Kevin Costner's Robin Hood etc....For years I would let the inaccuracies ruin my judgement and enjoyment while watching the film....After reading George MacDonald Fraser's book about Hollywood and History.....A Shazam moment occurred....He was discussing many of the films that had numerous mistake on costumes set, weapons etc...etc....He made a brilliant point....He basically said sit back and enjoy the ride.....Where you can see Ancient Rome, The legions, knights in armour, Courts of the kings, Olde London Towne, Agincourt.....on and on...I have worked very hard on letting most of the inaccuracies go.....A good example Is Ridley's "Kingdom of Heaven"....many errors Templars did not hang their Knights in public, Balin and Sybil etc....but it was enjoyable and what a ride....BTW I recommend the Extended version.....Finally after watching most Historic films....I will invaribly do some further research .....[/quote]

Hi Chuck - I've got that extended cut of KoH, but not watched it yet (I've had it for about two years too...shameful!).

I think with Mel Gibson - you could have forgiven "Braveheart" if he hadn't followed it up with the "The Patriot" - It's clear that the bloke had some sort of anti-pohm thing on for whatever reasons.

The Costner Robin Hood....well I hated it too. I was watching the special features of "Robin of Sherwood" recently (I'm trying to get my six year old into it) and they were talking about the movie - especially Alan Rickman's performance which was clearly a rip-off of the Nikolas Grace's from the show. They were saying "No wonder they called it "Prince of Thieves." *lol* Yeah, there are some howlers in that - and unnecessary ones too. I think I recall Robin saying that his father's castle was in Nottingham, a day's march from Dover. Things like that - well, someone on the set could have said "errr...boss...its a lot further away than that!" *lol*

That said, I didn't hate it cos of the inaccuracies. For me it was too Americanised...too glossy and Hollywood for my tastes (not that I mind a bit of glossy Hollywood, I just don't think it fits with Robin Hood) Its shallow I know, but I can't take an American accent seriously on Robin Hood (I'm told that you can't take Russell Crowe's Glaswegian-via-Cardiff-via-Mumbai one seriously either). That said, I suppose Prince of Thieves did harken back to the old Errol Flynn movies - maybe that's what they were aiming for. But shame - no one can think of it now without thinking of Bryan Adams in his denim jacket, standing on a grassy knoll.

On the other hand, I can take an English accent seriously in a Roman or Greek epic which is a bit of double-standards going on I suppose. I loved what they tried to do in Oliver Stone's "Alexander the Great" (or as its cruelly called in some quarters "Alexander O'Great") when they used Irish and English accents to illustrate the differences between Greeks and Macedonians.

But yeah - I think that inaccuracies are always going to be there. They're there for a load of reasons - one of the famous ones is the U-571 movie where Jon Bon Jovi and the US marines get the Enigma device where as of course, it was the British who got the device. Why transpose it - well, its a movie, its got to make money and Jon Bon Jovi and co are going to pull in more box-office-bucks than a submarine crew full of people called "Colin" "Darren" and "Phil."

We'd movies to be about stories, I guess - but the truth is they're about money and the facts aren't ever going to get in the way of making it!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon September 27th, 2010, 8:42 am

I watched Robin Hood at the weekend. I enjoyed it, although my husband didn't particularly. Is it me, or did they all seem a little old? Perhaps that's because I see Jason Connery or Michael Praed when I think of Robin Hood! :rolleyes: :)
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Mon September 27th, 2010, 2:57 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I watched Robin Hood at the weekend. I enjoyed it, although my husband didn't particularly. Is it me, or did they all seem a little old? Perhaps that's because I see Jason Connery or Michael Praed when I think of Robin Hood! :rolleyes: :) [/quote]

Did you see the new one? What ages should they be? I suppose they might have seemed a little old to me as well. I still like the Men in Tights version the best. :o
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon September 27th, 2010, 3:14 pm

Yes, it was the new one - with Russell Crowe. I'm not sure what ages they should be, but the TV adaptations have usually had Robin as in his 20s as Jason Connery and Michael Praed were (I think) when they played him. According to this link, it was Michael Praed but I'm sure Jason Connery has also played him - ah, yes, here we are.

There's also the more recent BBC TV series.
Last edited by Vanessa on Mon September 27th, 2010, 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon September 27th, 2010, 3:16 pm

Hey Russ...I enjoy reading your posts....I admire people who can write and communicate well....Me I just shoot out one liners....But.... I love good HF/NF/Music/Films....With that said...What disturbs me is seems most is films are becoming more dependent on the OTT computer generated use Special Effects...It's almost as SE drives most films these days and that is disturbing to me....Like the old Pepsi commercial "For those who think young"......Liked your mention of the Irish version of Alexander O'Great.....BTW I could not finish the film...Do not like Angelie Jolie....Peace....P.S. Remember seeing Richard Burton's Alexander the Great.....That peroxide blond look got in the way....
Last edited by chuck on Mon September 27th, 2010, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Mon September 27th, 2010, 3:21 pm

Watched Shadow of a Doubt last night.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Russ Whitfield
Reader

Post by Russ Whitfield » Mon September 27th, 2010, 3:39 pm

I think O'Great is a much maligned movie that was doomed as soon as the Internet Hive Mind got involved. I think that Colin Farrell tried his heart out and I admire his performance...but I firmly believe he was miscast. Like Richard Burton - the peroxide blonde look was just...well...odd. It was ok later in the movie when he got into the 80s hair-metal realms I guess. But for me, he didn't quite work as Alexander. Which is tragic as the man did everything that is humanly possible to own that role (watch the documentary if you ever get the chance.). Its easy to dismiss Farrell as hard-drinking-hell-raiser (as the tabloids do) but he took this project very seriously indeed.

And I'm shallow enough to admit that I worship Angelina Jolie and wish she was my girlfriend!

I loved her in O'Great...she nailed Olympias as far as I was concerned. I love the look she gives when Philip is assassinated.

Yeah - this was a noble film...but its such a huge life to tackle and I think whoever attempts it is going to be criticised for something or another.

Try watching the "Final Cut" - I've got all 3 versions (sad), but the "Final Cut" one is Stone's preferred version.

Cheers

Russ

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”