Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What's in your CD player?

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sat July 3rd, 2010, 3:36 pm

Pig Pen....was always on fire....Many...many times he would light the fire and the boys always responded and found the zone.....Yes may their music and lore always continue....never forget Bob Weir looking a like a Hippie Prep with his light blue Izod polo,his khaki shorts and boat mocs.....God Bless the GD.....BTW...rewatched ..."Letters from Iwo Jima"....bit patronizing at times...but enjoyed the fresh perspective.....Always thought that the Japanese people received a Bad Press.....Loved their passion for Progressive Jazz....Had a friend who was stationed there and he really enjoyed the Japanese coffee houses where Miles Davis, Monk, Gillespie, Getz etc.... were played on the best Stereo equipment available.....I'll have to check out your site....Later

andrewoberg
Scribbler

Post by andrewoberg » Mon July 5th, 2010, 4:44 am

[quote=""chuck""]Pig Pen....was always on fire....Many...many times he would light the fire and the boys always responded and found the zone.....Yes may their music and lore always continue....never forget Bob Weir looking a like a Hippie Prep with his light blue Izod polo,his khaki shorts and boat mocs.....God Bless the GD.....BTW...rewatched ..."Letters from Iwo Jima"....bit patronizing at times...but enjoyed the fresh perspective.....Always thought that the Japanese people received a Bad Press.....Loved their passion for Progressive Jazz....Had a friend who was stationed there and he really enjoyed the Japanese coffee houses where Miles Davis, Monk, Gillespie, Getz etc.... were played on the best Stereo equipment available.....I'll have to check out your site....Later[/quote]

Old Bobby and those short shorts... Thank the gods his band "Bobby and the Midnites" never went anywhere! :D

Yeah, "Letters from Iwo Jima" is good--though despite my love for Eastwood I think that same story would be told very differently by a Japanese director. Domestic films here are almost non-existent on that era... There are some great books, though, particularly by Shiga Naoya, if memory serves (and it probably doesn't! ;) ).
Teacher and writer living in rural Japan--very adept with chopsticks! Humorous serial shorts and historical fiction graphic novel at: http://drugstorebooks.com/

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sat July 24th, 2010, 7:39 pm

Listening to Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli....playing live at the Hot Club in Paris...Unbelievable sound of Django's guitar and the jazzy vilolin of Grappelli....First heard their music while watching a French film....Might have been "Cinema Paradiso"....

Caveowl
Scribbler

Post by Caveowl » Wed September 22nd, 2010, 4:57 am

September 2010 CD Mix

Dianne Reeves … Just My Imagination …
Booker T … Just My Imagination …
Jeff Beck … Hi Heel Sneakers …
Phe Cullen … Never Been to Spain …
Peter Green … Looking for Somebody …
Barb Jungr … Always On My Mind …
Delbert McClinton … Blues As Blue Can Get …
Ian Tyson … Barrel Racing Angel …
Bonnie Bramlett … A Change Is Gonna Come …
CeU … Concrete Jungle …
Marcia Ball … I’d Rather Go Blind …
Roy Buchanan … Country Preacher …
Dianne Reeves … Benediction/Country Preacher …
Robbie Robertson … Soap Box Preacher
Marc Cohn … Into the Mystic …
Marc Cohn … The Letter …
Roy Buchanan … Can I Change My Mind …
Cesaria Evora … Bondade E Maldade

M.M. Bennetts

Post by M.M. Bennetts » Wed September 22nd, 2010, 7:51 am

Ludovico Einaudi --Divinire (and beside the cd player, Nightbook)

I saw him at the Royal Albert Hall last February--so much passion for his music. He's just superb.

And beside that on the shelf, the Tallis Scholars singing the motets of Alonso Lobo.

Gabriella
Scribbler

Post by Gabriella » Thu September 23rd, 2010, 12:52 am

Alot of french for me lately. . .

Jane Birkin (this one is getting worn out :rolleyes: ), Serge Gainsbourough, and Coralie Clemont.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu September 23rd, 2010, 3:03 am

Fond memories of listening to Francoise Hardy......Sunday mornings coming down

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 2:30 am

Harry Potter 7 Part 1 soundtrack
It's enhanced with extras!

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 3:45 pm

Wulfgar- Midgardian Metal
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 5:28 pm

Marty Robbins - Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs.
Very old school :)

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”