Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hello from New Orleans!

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri September 17th, 2010, 10:23 am

Hi nola and welcome, what a fascinating place to live in. I hope you weren't affected by Katrina?
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri September 17th, 2010, 10:24 am

Hi there and welcome on board.

Elizabeth
Avid Reader

Post by Elizabeth » Fri September 17th, 2010, 12:06 pm

Hello and welcome, Christine! I also love Chelsea Quinn Yarbro and think Saint-Germain is vastly underrated compared to the flood of current vampire fiction, although I have to admit I prefer the earlier books.
THE RED LILY CROWN: A Novel of Medici Florence.
THE FLOWER READER.
THE SECOND DUCHESS.

www.elizabethloupas.com

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Fri September 17th, 2010, 2:59 pm

Hi Christine, and welcome to the greastest HF forum online!

I too love N'Awlins - been twice, in 1990, and in 1998. Having driven more than 17,000 miles around the USA on the second occasion, I'd humbly say that it's one my three favourite US cities: NY and SF being the two others. (I haven't been to Boston, which I'm sorry about.)

I read so much Louis L'Amour when I was younger. Yet when I tried a new western for the first time in a few years - Lonesome Dove - I just couldn't get in to it. The TV mini series was good, though! :o
Last edited by parthianbow on Fri September 17th, 2010, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: addendum
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri September 17th, 2010, 6:21 pm

Hi Christine! I discovered Zane Grey in high school and read his entire canon (except the YA baseball stories.) I grew up in Ohio and "Zane's Trace" is just a couple of miles from home. I started off with his Ohio frontier books based on his family's stories, then moved on to the Westerns. Ditto the HF films. I drag my husband to all the HF movies and he drags me to French films. :rolleyes:

Welcome and I look forward to "meeting" you in the forums!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Fri September 17th, 2010, 6:28 pm

Hello and welcome Christine! :)

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Sun September 19th, 2010, 12:37 pm

Hello and welcome!

If you like the 'dark ages', have you read Kathleen Herbert's trilogy set in sixth and seventh century Britain?
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

cat
Reader

Post by cat » Tue September 21st, 2010, 8:48 pm

Greetings Christine! Glad to have you and look forward to getting to know you! I'm also a graphic designer...living in North Carolina and freelancing right now. I'm 43 and no kids....so we have some things in common besides the historical fiction!
Book Cover Designer ~ http://www.avalongraphics.org

nolablossom

Post by nolablossom » Tue September 21st, 2010, 9:26 pm

Thanks, everyone, for welcoming me to the forum! Most happy to hear so many have traveled to and enjoyed their time in New Orleans. It really is a fascinating city with a lot of history and so many things to see and do. Post-Katrina, and post-oil spill, the city is alive and well so I encourage y'all to come visit and explore!

Elizabeth, I too have only read the earlier works of Yarbro. Blood Games, Flame in Byzantium, Dark of the Sun, and Candle for D'Artegnan are my faves. Out of the House of Life (Sanct Germain's life in ancient Egypt) is in my TBR pile.

MLE - my husband and I have been waiting to be assigned a child to adopt from China (and Taiwan) for the last 4 years. During this long excruciating wait I decided to immerse myself in Chinese culture including learning the Mandarin language. I have been studying Chinese online and at a local Chinese school for 3-1/2 years.

Look forward to being a part of the "family" here!

nolablossom

Post by nolablossom » Tue September 21st, 2010, 9:29 pm

Oops I just missed your post, Cat! Yes we have lots in common so it's great to meet another graphic designer here! Yay! (Oh, and I LOVE your Clive Owen avatar!)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”