Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ever Heard of This Book?

Ever run into a book that sounds intriguing, but you can't find a description about it anywhere? Ask your fellow members--maybe they've heard of it!
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue September 7th, 2010, 4:44 pm

Is she a little like Victoria Holt? Actually, looking at it, I think it's more Georgian and Victorian (the era it's set in, that is!).
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue September 7th, 2010, 8:42 pm

[QUOTE=annis;56732] As most people probably know, AP has a spectacular New Zealand connection- as a teenager, she and a close friend committed a premeditated murder in Christchurch.
QUOTE]

I wonder how she felt about being played by Kate Winslett.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue September 7th, 2010, 10:53 pm

I've never read any of her books for that reason. I know she has successfully rehabilitated herself, but I just find the whole thing creepy.....

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed September 8th, 2010, 12:13 am

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I believe that people who sell used books on online bookstores should be required to post a little description of the contents of the books they sell. It's maddening with some older books where there's nothing on the page to give you an idea of what the book's about. You'd think the sellers would do it just to increase their chance of selling the book![/quote]

That would mean of course they'd have to read them :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed September 8th, 2010, 11:21 am

[quote=""Ash""]That would mean of course they'd have to read them :) [/quote]

They could just quote the blurb on the back of the book!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Wed September 8th, 2010, 12:14 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Is she a little like Victoria Holt? Actually, looking at it, I think it's more Georgian and Victorian (the era it's set in, that is!).[/quote]

I think the setting is probably Victorian. I'm not sure I would compare her to Victoria Holt. Many of her books contain quite a lot of social history of Yorkshire, but I'm not sure about this one.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Fri January 7th, 2011, 11:55 pm

I got this question over email. Any ideas? There were many Gold Rush-era books published in the '80s, and this doesn't sound like one I've come across.
I read a book years ago (late 80s, possibly early 90s). The Irish heroine left Ireland (potato famine?) and came to America during the California gold rush. She marries a man out of necessity. (miner?) There were children (her siblings?). I can't remember any names. The marriage of convenience becomes love, but not without fights and perils. I remember loving the snappy dialogue. Any ideas?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat January 8th, 2011, 1:50 am

[quote=""Ariadne""]I got this question over email. Any ideas? There were many Gold Rush-era books published in the '80s, and this doesn't sound like one I've come across.[/quote]

I am still thinking but I'm afraid you have me stumped.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sat January 8th, 2011, 2:28 am

[quote=""Misfit""]I am still thinking but I'm afraid you have me stumped.[/quote]

I know you read a lot of the older historicals so had wondered if you might recognize it. I don't think it's one by Gwen Bristow or Cathy Cash Spellman, I checked the plots for their books.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat January 8th, 2011, 2:38 am

[quote=""Ariadne""]I know you read a lot of the older historicals so had wondered if you might recognize it. I don't think it's one by Gwen Bristow or Cathy Cash Spellman, I checked the plots for their books.[/quote]

I'll check with Karla over at goodreads who has a lot of Cali books on her shelf and see if she has any ideas. I'm always happy to find another :D
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “What's This Book About?”