Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

September 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon September 6th, 2010, 3:10 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]Becoming Queen Victoria (NF) by Kate Williams. It's about the life and early death of Princess Charlotte and the young Queen Victoria.[/quote]

Please let me know what you think. This book is right up my alley. I wonder how it compares to Charlotte and Leopold by James Chambers which I think you read.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon September 6th, 2010, 3:51 pm

[quote=""Ash""]In the discussion here, some people mentioned it was a way to bring Cromwell to the immediate present. But then it could have been just to confuse the hell out of some readers :) You might be interested in the discussion but there are spoilers.

http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... php?t=2564[/quote]

I actually found the continual use of 'he' without specifying who more confusing than the present tense (once you get used to it). And I must say I found the first 20 pages among the most riveting.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon September 6th, 2010, 4:26 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]I actually found the continual use of 'he' without specifying who more confusing than the present tense (once you get used to it). And I must say I found the first 20 pages among the most riveting.[/quote]

Everyone I know who's read this, and nearly all the reviews I've seen, say they found this the most difficult/confusing aspect of the book, until, as you say, they got used to it. I have it on mount tbr, and I'm glad I've been forewarned so I'll know what to expect!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

TLee
Reader

Post by TLee » Mon September 6th, 2010, 10:10 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Finishing up In the Shadow of Lady Jane and am then moving on to Eric Ives recent non-fiction book on her.[/quote]

What did you think? Is is worth a read?

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue September 7th, 2010, 12:52 am

In the Shadow of Lady Jane is a little different since it is told from the POV of a young man (about 16) who becomes employed by the Grey family and befriends in different ways the three daughters. It was a little hard to get into and it's told in first person which does sometime necessitate him being in the right place at the right time. He's a rather gallant young man and a little too perfect, but since he is telling the story he has some interesting commentary on the events that are happening around him and relates the perspective of the common people. From that standpoint it is interesting and while I don't feel like my time was wasted, it definately won't make my top 10 of the year. I'll probably end up giving it 3 stars.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue September 7th, 2010, 1:24 am

Left my current book on the plane. :eek: Still haven't picked the new one.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue September 7th, 2010, 1:25 am

[quote=""Nefret""]Left my current book on the plane. :eek: Still haven't picked the new one.[/quote]

Freudian slip perhaps? :)

I just started Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue September 7th, 2010, 2:09 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Freudian slip perhaps? :)

I just started Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay.[/quote]

I didn't even notice until I got home. :rolleyes:

It's between either The Devil's Queen or Watership Down.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

chuck
Bibliophile

Iceland Mystery

Post by chuck » Tue September 7th, 2010, 4:22 am

[quote=""annis""]How could I resist a mystery which features an Icelandic Viking warrior, a ring of power (where have I come across that before? :) ) and JRR Tolkien.

Michael Ridpath, Where the Shadows Lie[/quote]

Mysteries/Archaeology/Supernatural.....My favorite type of HF Mystery subjects....another TBR......BTW I'm enjoying watching A&E's "Shackleton" Branagh and rest of the cast are Brilliant!...Brilliant! .....I heard they are trying to replicate Shackleton's Frozen Scotch....I would love to have a bottle even if was a replica recipe......

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue September 7th, 2010, 4:55 am

I've just been watching Branagh as Swedish detective, Kurt Wallander- really well done. Love those angst-y Scandinavian mysteries, and Mankell is one of the best.

I still have hopes that Branagh might take the part of Matthew Shardlake in CJ Sansom's dark Tudor historical mystery series as originally planned - he's an actor who could definitely do Shardlake justice.
Last edited by annis on Tue September 7th, 2010, 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Archives”