Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun September 5th, 2010, 2:46 am

Unfortunately, as you can see New Zealand is parked slap bang over the join between the Pacific plate and the Australian plate, making us a bit of a liability!

Christchurch is situated well away from the main fault line, which is why it was such a surprise that it was hit with a big one.

Sorry- not having any luck posting image - if you scroll down a bit on this post to Natural Analog: Southern New Zealand you'll see it.
http://www.geology.um.maine.edu/geodyna ... round.html
Last edited by annis on Sun September 5th, 2010, 2:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sun September 5th, 2010, 2:50 am

annis...So glad to hear you and your dear ones are safe.....Experienced the San Francisco/Oakland earthquake in 1989...very scary....never felt so small before....You take care.....

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun September 5th, 2010, 2:55 am

[quote=""annis""]Unfortunately, as you can see New Zealand is parked slap bang over the join between the Pacific plate and the Australian plate, making us a bit of a liability!

[/quote]

Is New Zealand part of the infamous Pacific Rim of Fire?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun September 5th, 2010, 2:59 am

Thanks for all the kind thoughts. Earthquakes are certainly scary. Events like this certainly make you aware of how we wander blithely around thinking every day will be the same as the next, while unnoticed the Sword of Damocles is always hanging over our heads--

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun September 5th, 2010, 9:38 am

Crikey! So glad you are all okay. I hadn't heard anything about it until now.
When earth forces strike, we are at their mercy aren't we?
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun September 5th, 2010, 7:17 pm

Posted by Michy
Is New Zealand part of the infamous Pacific Rim of Fire?
Yes, it certainly is. Apart from being right onr the join of two tectonic plates, we also have a number of semi-active volcanos, so we're quite a volatile area.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun September 5th, 2010, 7:23 pm

Very scary news, Annis. Glad you and everyone you know are okay, but yikes. I've been following it on CNN, which has had some devastating photos of damage to buildings.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sun September 5th, 2010, 7:48 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Michy

Yes, it certainly is. Apart from being right onr the join of two tectonic plates, we also have a number of semi-active volcanos, so we're quite a volatile area.[/quote]

That's something I didn't realise. How frightening that this fault line wasn't known to exist.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun September 5th, 2010, 8:27 pm

The latest reports I've read indicate that the fault line didn't exist, but is a brand new one. Not sure how that works really. Frightening concept though--new fault lines opening up. Saw a picture of a kid skateboarding on the buckled street and wondered if his mother was just off camera telling him to get away from there.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue September 7th, 2010, 7:00 pm

Either I forget to turn the alarm on last night, or someone got up and turned it off in their sleep. Our oldest woke us at 8:00 this morning. Threw off everyone's day. Six year old didn't get his customary free time before therapy (though if he hadn't refused to go to sleep last night that might not have been an issue). Eight year old was upset that his driver had left without him this morning (of course he was asleep when she would have been here). Two year old insisted on going with to take her brother to school, he then insisted I had to go with.

Got to the school at recess time and took him in, only to find him reluctant to let me go. Needed his eyes kissed first. Then two year old was devastated that she didn't get to play with the kids on the playground, and had to go home instead.

Got an email reminder about a writing course I was interested in. I did well on the aptitude test and I'd love to take the course, but it's priced out of my reach for this year.

Nothing earth-shattering, or even important really, it's just adding up. Coldish, gray and windy outside. Makes things harder to take.

Return to “Chat”