Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

September 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri September 3rd, 2010, 5:48 pm

I've had water issues with books in the past as well, not fun! So if I have books that aren't mine in my bag I always put them in a plastic bag.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Fri September 3rd, 2010, 9:29 pm

Thankfully the copy was mine SM, but I'd have been mortified if it'd had belonged to someone else! Thanks to the coke, it's now nice and sticky :( The idea of a plastic bag is a good one. How annoying about Yankee Stranger Misfit! Definitely do an ILL or something when you get an opportunity, I've only read 10 pages or so and already I'm hooked.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri September 3rd, 2010, 11:29 pm

I have one book which still smells of soap because I took it on a trip with me and a bottle of shower gel leaked in the bag.

Was in a book slump but I think To Kill A Mockingbird is lifting me out of it. Today's library loot: The People's Queen (large trade ppk edition) and The Help, which arrived much faster than they said it would.

The Help is reserved for someone else so I'll have to read that next and in fact that's what inspired me to pick up Mockingbird, as they have been compared.

cat
Reader

Post by cat » Sat September 4th, 2010, 12:06 am

I finished 'Guenevere Queen of the Summer Country' [a lovely read!] and have returned to my guilty pleasure - Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' series...on book number 7 now!
Book Cover Designer ~ http://www.avalongraphics.org

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat September 4th, 2010, 12:11 am

Reading some non-fic- "War" by Sebastian Junger. Epitomises the madness of the war in Afghanistan and ultimately war as such. Junger spent a year embedded with a group of soldiers in one of Afghanistan's most lethal combat zones, and this is the result. If you've watched the HBO TV series Generation Kill, you'll have a sense of what this book is all about. Causes and politics mean nothing - it's surviving each day as it comes and counting on your buddies.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat September 4th, 2010, 12:23 am

[quote=""LoobyG""]Thankfully the copy was mine SM, but I'd have been mortified if it'd had belonged to someone else! Thanks to the coke, it's now nice and sticky :( The idea of a plastic bag is a good one. How annoying about Yankee Stranger Misfit! Definitely do an ILL or something when you get an opportunity, I've only read 10 pages or so and already I'm hooked.[/quote]

Plastic bag is also good for any book(s) you don't want to get messed up.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sat September 4th, 2010, 12:25 am

Finishing up MC's "Pirate's Latitudes"...not impressed....read like Movie script...very weak character development and OTT plot.....

cat
Reader

Post by cat » Sat September 4th, 2010, 12:29 am

[quote=""chuck""]Finishing up MC's "Pirate's Latitudes"...not impressed....read like Movie script...very weak character development and OTT plot.....[/quote]

I nearly bought that recently, so glad to read your impression....I'll save my money for another book!
Book Cover Designer ~ http://www.avalongraphics.org

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat September 4th, 2010, 5:00 am

Reading NF at the moment, The Pluto Files by Neil deGrasse Tyson -- it's all about the astronomical bru-haha that Dr. Tyson set off. Great fun, and set me off into painful laughter at times. (So I am a geek at times) Also about ready to start The Courtiers by Lucy Worsley when I need to take a break from science.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat September 4th, 2010, 12:11 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]Reading NF at the moment, The Pluto Files by Neil deGrasse Tyson -- it's all about the astronomical bru-haha that Dr. Tyson set off. Great fun, and set me off into painful laughter at times. (So I am a geek at times)[/quote]

I have a friend who is an astrophysics professor at Princeton and I have met Neil Tyson at his house several times. He is quite an interesting character! I love seeing him on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart and the Colbert Report. He is always interesting and amusing.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Return to “Archives”