Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

August 2010, what are you reading

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun August 29th, 2010, 8:21 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""]I had 'The Passionate Brood' on my wants list too, and after your review Misfit, I don't think I'll go out of my way. The time lines being so skewed would throw me off and spoil my enjoyment. I read 'Mary of Carisbrooke' by MC Barnes and loved it recently, but I'm not sure whether I loved it because I don't know a great deal about King Charles's imprisonment on the Isle of Wight, or because it was accurate :rolleyes: [/quote]

I do want to read the Carisbrooke novel. I've read others of MCB's and the one on Anne of Cleves I thought best of all so far, but this one was just so off. It is possible that the Richard she wrote was how he was commonly pictured back in the 1940's when she wrote it.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun August 29th, 2010, 8:56 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I do want to read the Carisbrooke novel. I've read others of MCB's and the one on Anne of Cleves I thought best of all so far, but this one was just so off. It is possible that the Richard she wrote was how he was commonly pictured back in the 1940's when she wrote it.[/quote]

I have just acquired the Carisbrooke novel and will be reading it after I have finished my DDfest. I hope it works for me because I have read the Dorothy Osborne letters which I found fascinating.

I think the only other MCB that I read was the PB but it was so long ago, I can't remember my impression of it. I want to get hold of the Margaret Irwin Montrose novel. I recall reading the Elizabethan triology many years ago and, I think, Royal Flush but, again, I can't remember my impressions.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon August 30th, 2010, 8:05 am

The Montrose book, "Proud Servant" is interesting. It's part of a trilogy which includes the novel "Stranger Prince", about Prince Rupert of the Rhine, and "The Bride" which is the story of the doomed love affair between Montrose and Prince Rupert's sister Louise Hollandine. Louise was an accomplished artist, as was Prince Rupert.

A while ago I discovered Scottish author Neil Munro, and enjoyed his historical novel "John Splendid", written in 1898. It's set in Scotland during the English Civil War period.
Summary:
John Splendid deals with the sack of Inveraray by Montrose and his subsequent victory at the battle of Inverlochy in 1645. It also explores the Highland character under stress, particularly in the persons of Gillesbeg Gruamach, the marquis of Argyll, who is anxious to move on from clan warfare to the more peaceful ways of commerce and the rule of law, and his clansman Iain Alainn, John Splendid himself, a swaggering miles gloriosus figure whose loyalty permits him to humour his chief and yield to his whims until, finally convinced of his cowardice, he rebels.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Mon August 30th, 2010, 8:35 am

[quote=""annis""]

A while ago I discovered Scottish author Neil Munro, and enjoyed his historical novel "John Splendid", written in 1898. It's set in Scotland during the English Civil War period.
.[/quote]

Yes, I know about this one -- and happily it was free online. Thanks.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

emmylou14

Post by emmylou14 » Mon August 30th, 2010, 11:21 am

Just finished Cathedral Of The Sea by Idelfonso Falcones - great enthralling read!
Have started The Serpent's Tale by Ariana Franklin

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon August 30th, 2010, 11:51 am

[quote=""emmylou14""]J
Have started The Serpent's Tale by Ariana Franklin[/quote]

That's the one where Eleanor and Henry were actually in Anjou in 1173 and Rosamund Clifford didn't die in the historical record until 1176. :rolleyes: :)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon August 30th, 2010, 12:52 pm

Started Jewel of St Petersburg last night.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon August 30th, 2010, 1:56 pm

Finished Legacy by Susan Kay last night. It wasn't a page turner because I've learned enough about Elizabeth I over the years to know what happens next. However, I found Kay's Elizabeth enthralling! I wish I had some of the abilities she had (without of course having to go through what she had to go through to obtain them). Anyway, started Eagle's Brood the 3rd in Jack Whyte's Arthur series.
Brenna

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Mon August 30th, 2010, 2:23 pm

Still reading Catherine - One love is enough by Juliette Benzoni, I've just felt too tired the past few days to read for too long :( Really enjoying the story and I'd like to read more on France in this time period as my knowledge is almost non-existent, and it'd help to understand the reasons behind the confrontations with the Armagnacs etc. I have to say that I've never met anyone with violet eyes :rolleyes:

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon August 30th, 2010, 2:26 pm

Elizabeth Taylor supposedly has violet eyes, although I've always thought that was just hype. They're more likely a dark blue, and if there's any "violet" it's probably thanks to the help of colored contacts. ;)

Return to “Archives”