Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun August 29th, 2010, 6:36 pm

That's terrible, Miss Moppet. It's definitely a death which should not have happened in this day and age.

Hospitals do differ with regards to care and attention unfortunately.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun August 29th, 2010, 6:52 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. Its horrible.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sun August 29th, 2010, 7:29 pm

I'd also like to express my sorrow at hearing such terrible news Miss Moppet :( I'm a nurse and work in Palliative Care, I'm very proud to say my Unit in which we care for terminally ill patients, is always striving to maintain the highest standards and I work with truly exceptional people. But I have experienced (and seen) care which has not been of a high standard and things have been missed which should not have been, with people paying a high price :(

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun August 29th, 2010, 8:07 pm

Sorry to hear about your stepmother's friend, Looby. I had a young friend some years past who had a ruptured appendix and was mis-diagnosed because he had pain but no fever. Fortunately, Children's Hospital in Oakland (a wonderful facility, not to be confused with the county hospital not too far away where I have sat with many a client in the ER) had a good team to correct the problem once they figured it out -- internal lavage twice daily-- and the kid pulled through.

The one thing I've learned is to be very pro-active about the treatment given to me and anybody I'm responsible for. Despite the wonderful professionals in the field, nobody cares as much as you do.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sun August 29th, 2010, 8:27 pm

Ooh it was Miss Moppet's loss MLE, not mine! But I certainly agree that it's important to be pro-active about either your own, or a relative/friend's treatment. Those who watch and research their treatment, ask questions and 'shout' the loudest - get the best results, which is not the way it should be, but it's the truth. A lot of the time, there's too many patients, not enough staff :(

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun August 29th, 2010, 10:52 pm

Very sorry to hear about your stepmother's friend Miss Moppet.

I had peritonitis once. It's horrifically painful. The ER sent me home, but I was able to see my doctor the next morning and was admitted.

My Dad wasn't as lucky with his, he had an under-rested intern in charge of his case. Ended up having his appendix burst while he was in surgery. They left the incision open while he got over the infection. Hospital was more than happy to cover the expenses of his stay rather than face a malpractice suit.

That was when I was a toddler. Scary to think this kind of thing still happens.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Sun August 29th, 2010, 11:11 pm

I'm very sorry to hear that, Miss Moppet. My mother's best friend had a silent heart attack a few days ago. It's been a summer of hospitals for my family and friends. Really a terrible, terrible summer. I think I'll just pretend that May-August '10 never happened.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun August 29th, 2010, 11:11 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""]Ooh it was Miss Moppet's loss MLE, not mine! [/quote]

Oops. One gets confused as the posts pile on, until the thread gets lost... :rolleyes: Condolences, Moppet.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Mon August 30th, 2010, 12:00 am

Many many thanks everyone for your messages and condolences. I felt very down today after hearing the news and it has helped so much to hear from you all.

In this case it was bowel rupture not appendix apparently - she had been in pain for some time but was on heavy pain medication for arthritis which may have masked it to some extent. I don't know what the exact circumstances at the hospital were but usually when hospitals have a record of problems it's due to underfunding, understaffing and strain on those on duty. A friend of mine left nursing for that reason.

Michelle, I'm sorry to hear about your summer of hospitals - it so often seems that these things happen all at once! My stepmother's mother (my step-grandmother I suppose), who is in her mid-80s, after years of excellent health is now definitely on the slide, so stepmother had enough to cope with already without this. I'm at the other end of the country so I can't be much help to her but fortunately one of my stepsisters lives close by and the other is still at home.

I will write the condolence cards tomorrow, which is always difficult.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon August 30th, 2010, 1:52 am

I'm so sorry to hear about your step-mother's friend, Ms. Moffett. I was delivering my daughter to college (1000 miles driven in less than 36 hours) or I would have responded sooner. It's horrible to lose someone that young in an inexcusable mishap. Hospital care is so hit or miss--which is a tragedy. Hugs and best wishes.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “Chat”