Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Why you shouldn't buy an e reader

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri August 27th, 2010, 5:41 pm

I get nervous if I haven't read at least 10 books a month or more. I buy more then 7 books a year for sure. A lot of the books I want to read aren't on ebooks and never will be. I have no interest in a e-reader at all.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri August 27th, 2010, 6:31 pm

Ahem, I just bought a Kindle-- waiting for it to be delivered, since it's back-ordered. My main reason was the searchability of my research texts, which right now I read on my computer as PDFs as often as I take them down from the shelves. All the platforms let you download PDFs from your computer, and I have piles of them. So for me, it is a very convenient way to carry around two shelf-fuls of books, including whatever I'm working on at the moment.

I can also download all the classics free. Being able to carry a library consisting of all the classics, as well as my work, for under half a pound of weight is worth every penny.

And you can do basic editing and highlighting on almost all of them. What's not to like?

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri August 27th, 2010, 6:32 pm

If a Ebook Reader works for you, go for it! Right now it wouldn't be a good buy for me.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Fri August 27th, 2010, 7:49 pm

Here's the deal for me--it's all good! I have a Kindle which is fabulous for reading my own stuff, if I'm traveling, or if an author I love has a hardback out right now and I want it and can't wait for the library or the paperback. I have a zillion paperbacks which I love because I can dip in and out of them, carry them around, throw them on the couch without worrying about damaging them, plus they are cheap (especially when I buy them at the used book store). And I read hardbacks from the library. I can't deny it! I'm easy!

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri August 27th, 2010, 8:01 pm

[quote=""SarahWoodbury""]Here's the deal for me--it's all good! I have a Kindle which is fabulous for reading my own stuff, if I'm traveling, or if an author I love has a hardback out right now and I want it and can't wait for the library or the paperback. I have a zillion paperbacks which I love because I can dip in and out of them, carry them around, throw them on the couch without worrying about damaging them, plus they are cheap (especially when I buy them at the used book store). And I read hardbacks from the library. I can't deny it! I'm easy![/quote]

That's the spirit! I like physical books as much as anybody, but I'm more than happy to have additional ways of reading.

My Kindle arrived today!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri August 27th, 2010, 8:08 pm

I'd like to try a Kindle - would love to be able to download all my PDF research articles onto it and carry them round. But I'm not going to. I can't afford it or the books to put on it. And many books I want to read wouldn't be available.

So I would see it as Sarah does, as an extra rather than a replacement for print books - but I still won't get one unless prices come down or my income goes up. Also I don't get the sense that this is a one-off purchase - people seem to upgrade regularly or even have more than one lying around.

MLE and BB, I'd be interested to hear how you get on with your Kindles. I have heard the customer service is extremely good compared to other e-readers.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri August 27th, 2010, 8:40 pm

For some people they work great, for others not so much.

I need my non fiction books on the shelf. I need to go over and look something up.

What happens when you have an older kindle with a book on it..and you get a new kindle? Do you have to redownload the book? :confused:
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri August 27th, 2010, 8:41 pm

Ditto to Miss Moppet's sentitments.

If you have the money to buy an eReader, go for it. But those of us who don't will keep piling up the print copies.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri August 27th, 2010, 9:54 pm

And what would Misfit and I do without those wonderful covers????!!

G. Alvin Simons
Reader

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Fri August 27th, 2010, 10:38 pm

[quote=""Divia""]What happens when you have an older kindle with a book on it..and you get a new kindle? Do you have to redownload the book? :confused: [/quote]

I have a Kindle & love it. It's funny that some of those "negative" things written about an e-reader in the article is what I LIKE most about having one. While writing, I often need a reference book on the spur of the moment. Not living near a BN or Borders, whether a Wall Street Journal Reporter realizes it or not, many people DON'T live near any kind of bookstore, I can instantly get on my Kindle or PC & search for the book. I do check the free sites first & several times got lucky & found one that I could use. Regardless of free or an Amazon purchase, within 5 minutes I'm reading the book.

DIVIA - As to your question about the Kindle books, when you buy & register your Kindle, Amazon gives you your own page where your purchases are stored. You can go back & reload them anytime that you want.

I hope this helps,
Alvin

Return to “Chat”