Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri August 27th, 2010, 8:49 am

Posted by Parthianbow
Centurion didn't quite hit the mark.
(Here's hoping that Eagle of the Ninth, out later this year, does.)
Recently noted a mention on Anthony Lawton's Rosemary Sutcliff blog that there are delays in the release date for the Eagle of the Ninth film based on Rosemary Sutcliff's well-known story of the same name. At this stage the film is scheduled for release around February 2011.

http://rosemarysutcliff.wordpress.com/2 ... f-the-day/

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Fri August 27th, 2010, 11:06 am

[quote=""Russ Whitfield""]I loved this movie and was gutted not to see it in the cinema. For me it had everything and was a new take on the sword and sandals epic - I've not seen a buddy-chase-movie with Romans before! [/quote]

Hi Russ - don't get me wrong, I liked it too. It just disappointed me a bit. I had such high expectations of it, and after Dog Soldiers, which I loved, I thought that it would deliver. As for not seeing it in the cinema - what's your excuse??! We had the babysitter booked weeks in advance and went to see it on the very first night it was on in the cinema!
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Russ Whitfield
Reader

Post by Russ Whitfield » Fri August 27th, 2010, 11:18 am

My excuse is a good 'un. I was working the USA at the time!

I'm a real fan of Neil Marshall - I loved Doomsday as well, thought that got a bit of a pasting. I dunno - he just seems make movies that I would love to make and has the scenes that I would put in.

Now I'm counting down the days till I can order "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" from amazon.com. I've heard only good things about it and its up for a best-drama award at the Emmy's I think.

And the really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking star is called Andy Whitfield. Gladiators, nudity, violence and the name Whitfield are going to be synonymous...

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Fri August 27th, 2010, 11:32 am

[quote=""Russ Whitfield""]
I loved this movie and was gutted not to see it in the cinema. For me it had everything and was a new take on the sword and sandals epic - I've not seen a buddy-chase-movie with Romans before! The acting was superlative (you can't really go wrong with Michael Fassbender and Liam Cunningham though) and the music by Ilan Eshkeri was just brilliant...
.[/quote]

I loved it too, agree with all the above (though could have done with more Dominic West) and was blissfully unaware of the innacuracies. :D
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun August 29th, 2010, 4:22 am

"The Backup Plan", I liked it.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Sun August 29th, 2010, 5:55 am

Been watching Simon Schama's A History of Britain on DVD. We're up to Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots.
Jenny

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sun August 29th, 2010, 3:59 pm

Just finished watching the Second DVD of the BBC's "Wallander" mystery series...Branagh is brilliant as the super sensitive Swedish detective.....BTW.... breath taking Swedish land/seascapes....

JoshuaKaitlyn
Reader

Post by JoshuaKaitlyn » Sun August 29th, 2010, 5:24 pm

'The Devil's Whore' ok that wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be! Where was Thomas Fairfax & Henry Ireton. The trial of Charles I scene should have been longer, all in all a disappointment! Never mind time to move onto Charles II with Rufus Sewell.
Alea Jacta Est

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun August 29th, 2010, 6:38 pm

We watched The Kite Runner on DVD last night. I didn't think it was as good as the book - it all seemed quite rushed with quite a few changes. I think this was probably due to its '12' certificate.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun August 29th, 2010, 6:53 pm

[quote=""chuck""]Just finished watching the Second DVD of the BBC's "Wallander" mystery series...Branagh is brilliant as the super sensitive Swedish detective.....BTW.... breath taking Swedish land/seascapes....[/quote]

Strangely, here in the UK we have most recently been shown the Swedish version on BBC4 which is actually pretty good but Sunday night is not my best night for reading sub-titles as I am in almost total mental shutdown by that stage of the weekend.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”