Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Back from Outer Space

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Back from Outer Space

Post by Rowan » Tue August 17th, 2010, 7:12 pm

... erm... okay it wasn't outer space that I went to, but the UK with a side of D.C. on the way home. :D :D :D

I've searched high and low for a nice place to share photos and settled on Flickr. Of course there are limitations, unless I want to pay $25 a year, which I don't. The biggest drawback with the free side of things is that I'm limited to 100MB a month uploads. So it's going to take a while for me to upload the 200 photos I'm allowed for free. I managed to upload 23 photos today (not resized at all) so I think getting to 200 might take a few months. :rolleyes:

Anyway, for those of you who are interested in seeing my photos, you're welcome to look and comment here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/expletive_deleted/

Over the two weeks that I was there, I went on a less-than-great trike tour of the northwest (huge disappointment); I visited the Yorkshire Dales Falconry Centre (loads of fun); I traveled from just outside of Lancaster down to Gloucester; ventured into Wales with some friends; traveled even further south to Glastonbury; enjoyed Gloucester itself; returned north to follow the trail of the Pendle Witches and visited Beatrix Potter's home, Hill Top.

Details may be provided on request. LOL I don't want to bore everyone. ;)

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Wed August 18th, 2010, 3:08 pm

Oh, please, bore away. I want to hear about Wales! Give us a good travel story :)
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.

Post by Rowan » Wed August 18th, 2010, 3:41 pm

Wales was a lovely country. Is a lovely country and I hope my next planned trip in 2014 I will be able to visit more of the country and travel farther north.

My friend Barry sorted out which castles we were to visit, but I'm not 100% sure if he followed my explicit instructions to take me only to Welsh castles in Wales. :p I'm sure people here will know more about that than I do. ;)

We visited Skenfrith and Grosmont Castles. We'd intended to visit White Castle as well, but we kinda got lost. Of course when the American looked at the map and said, "Oh we can follow A465 back a bit and find it, no problem," the idea was rejected. So instead we roamed in a big circle on unmarked roads wide enough for one car and finally realised we were lost so we gave up and went to the fourth destination: Llanthony Priory.

Wales was more than I imagined it would be. So beautiful and picturesque. Hillier than I imagined and I can now understand how easy it was for the Welsh to hide from the English for so long. We went up and over a mountain on our way to Hay-on-Wye and the view at the top was spectacular. It flattened out a bit at the top and loads of people had parked along the side of the road for hiking and picnicking.

Hay-on-Wye is a wonderful destination if you've never been there or heard of it. It's got more bookshops than you can shake a stick at; including one in the castle.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Mon August 23rd, 2010, 7:08 pm

What beautiful photos, Rowan! Thank you for sharing :)

About 7 years ago, my family rented a canal boat and traveled by canal to Wales. I fell in love with the rolling hills, the thick trees and the language (I can't say enough about the language!). I've been meaning to go back since then, but haven't. Your photos were a great reminder... I especially love the image of the narrow lane shaded by trees.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Mon August 23rd, 2010, 7:10 pm

Thank you kindly Michelle. My next trip back there is some time away, but only because I plan to stay at least a month and I won't be staying with friends so I'll need to save for living expenses as well. I want to spend a lot of time in Wales as well as Scotland.

Eigon
Reader

Post by Eigon » Thu August 26th, 2010, 6:44 pm

Sounds like you stopped at Hay Bluff (I'm the board's resident Hay-ite! And I work at one of the bookshops.)
Skenfrith, Grosmont and White Castle are actually Norman castles built to keep the Welsh out. Grosmont was also the holiday cottage of Eleanor of Provence (Edward I's queen, I think - at any rate, she was the original White Rose, which became the emblem of Yorkshire). Between the three of them, they control what would otherwise be an easy way into England from Wales. Skenfrith was also used in a recent Doctor Who episode - the one where they might be dreaming, and they're getting attacked by old age pensioners!
Llantony Abbey is well worth a visit, though. Wonderful, wild countryside.
Hay Castle is another Norman castle built against the Welsh - this time by Matilda de Breos, whose husband William had his main castle at Huntington, just up the road.

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Thu August 26th, 2010, 6:51 pm

Thank you for the clarification about the castles Eigon . :) I appreciate it. I should've done my own research instead of leaving it to someone else. :p Ah well, they were lovely anyway. I enjoyed everything about Wales so no harm I guess. Just ignore any cries of pain you might hear from Gloucester when I return to whip my friend. :p LOL :D

Eigon
Reader

Post by Eigon » Fri August 27th, 2010, 11:35 am

Don't be too hard on them - lots of people think that a Welsh castle is a castle in Wales, rather than one built by the Welsh - and Grosmont is one of my favourite small castles.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri August 27th, 2010, 11:38 am

Lovely photos Rowan, the birds of prey are gorgeous. Wind turbines are a pretty divisive subject over here; some are for them, some are against, some say they're not worth it as they don't make enough energy, some say they do provide sufficient energy; they disfigure the countryside, birds get caught in the blades. Nothing been proved yet though.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sat August 28th, 2010, 3:56 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]Wind turbines are a pretty divisive subject over here; some are for them, some are against, some say they're not worth it as they don't make enough energy, some say they do provide sufficient energy; they disfigure the countryside, birds get caught in the blades. Nothing been proved yet though.[/quote]

Same thing here in the States. I've listened to arguments on both sides, and they both seem to make sense, so I can't decide whose side I'm on. :o

Return to “Travel”