Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun August 8th, 2010, 2:19 am

Poked myself in the eye with a booklet. Corners of the pages too. Had to happen on the weekend. When it rains...it really rains.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed August 25th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Migraines are back.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed August 25th, 2010, 7:54 pm

Got stuck in heavy traffic coming down the interstate leaving town on my way to work for awhile. The rest of the way was smooth sailing...

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun August 29th, 2010, 12:46 am

Water stain upstairs. Roof leaking. And it was just replaced. Lawn mower died. Door needs replacing. Along with windows, floors etc. etc.

I've lost my fight. I just dont give a damn anymore.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sun August 29th, 2010, 12:36 pm

Horrible news. My stepmother's best friend has died, very suddenly, of peritonitis. She went into hospital with pain, they X-rayed her, found something, sent her home again instead of dealing with it, and she died.

Stepmother is devastated, they had known each other from childhood and were like sisters. I am very upset because she was so lovely and it was all totally preventable.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun August 29th, 2010, 3:42 pm

That's terrible, Miss Moppet. What on earth did they send her home for? Poor lady.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sun August 29th, 2010, 4:50 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]That's terrible, Miss Moppet. What on earth did they send her home for? Poor lady.[/quote]

This particular hospital apparently has a very poor reputation and was supposed to be making improvements, but obviously not. There's going to be an inquest, and they will have some explaining to do. She was in her 50s. I am finding it all a bit hard to take in.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun August 29th, 2010, 5:38 pm

Wow, how awful! Huggles Missy Moppet!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun August 29th, 2010, 5:46 pm

That is utterly shocking. I am so sorry to read this.
Hospitals are a real lottery. My daughter in law's in hosp at the moment with her newborn daughter who was premature and needs neo-natal care. The maternity unit where she is, is fantastic and I praise it to the skies. But there are other parts that are dire. My son's girlfriend who is living with us at the mo, has just finished year 2 of her nursing degree and we get an insider's view, which is sometimes :eek: :eek: (funny faces, but not meant in a funny way).
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sun August 29th, 2010, 6:08 pm

Thanks Madeleine, SM & EC.

[quote=""EC2""]That is utterly shocking. I am so sorry to read this.
Hospitals are a real lottery. My daughter in law's in hosp at the moment with her newborn daughter who was premature and needs neo-natal care. The maternity unit where she is, is fantastic and I praise it to the skies. But there are other parts that are dire. My son's girlfriend who is living with us at the mo, has just finished year 2 of her nursing degree and we get an insider's view, which is sometimes :eek: :eek: (funny faces, but not meant in a funny way).[/quote]

I'm so glad to hear your DIL is being well looked after, EC. I couldn't agree more, it's a lottery. Last year I had to have a d&c and was a bit nervous as I had always been to private hospitals, but fortunately my GP had referred me to a consultant in Queen Charlotte's in south London, which is excellent. I was incredibly impressed - the only unusual thing was having to walk to the operating theatre carrying my pillow, but I didn't mind that! Everyone was tremendously kind and efficient and they seemed a lot less anxious to get me out of the bed than the private hospital was on one occasion. A friend of mine told me Queen Charlotte's is excellent for women's health and maternity - but she herself had her baby at another North London hospital who tried to tell her she wasn't in labour when she was. She was advised by her MP that she could sue them but refrained because of the stress of it all.

There is something very badly wrong with public services in the UK - I wish I could believe things will change, but I don't.

Return to “Chat”