Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon August 23rd, 2010, 3:24 pm

I tried to watch both Repo Men and Clash o the Titans and both sucked. I couldn't finsh them.

I wanted a fun loud movie cause I have a new surround sound system and TV.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon August 23rd, 2010, 4:20 pm

We went to see Truffaut's 1976 movie Small Change ("L'argent de poche" - French with English subtitltes) Saturday evening - what a delight! Hubby saw it years ago, but it was my first time. It's the last month of school and the movie follows several young students and (more incidentally) their parents through their everyday lives, interactions and small adventures. A baby teeters on a balcony, a girl uses a bullhorn to solicit food from the neighbors when her parents leave her home alone, a boy is desperately in love with a friend's mother, and a new student comes to school in rags and covered in bruises. What was as much fun as the movie was listening to the whispers and hisses in the audience condemning the lax parenting skills in this 1976 French village--we Americans do so much better! :rolleyes:
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon August 23rd, 2010, 10:51 pm

[quote=""Divia""]

I wanted a fun loud movie cause I have a new surround sound system and TV.[/quote]
Try The A Team. It's very loud. :D
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon August 23rd, 2010, 11:21 pm

Loudest film ever...."Jurassic Park".....I felt the the vibes going through the chair in the theater.....

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon August 23rd, 2010, 11:28 pm

Watched Kenneth Branagh in "Wallander" excellent.....disturbing story of a Swedish detective trying to solve a creepy murderer.....He is such a terrific actor....BTW Southern Sweden and the pristine scenes of the Baltic Sea are beautiful......Quite a interesting contrast when compared to the nasty plot....

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue August 24th, 2010, 3:43 am

[quote=""fljustice""]We went to see Truffaut's 1976 movie Small Change ("L'argent de poche" - French with English subtitltes) [/quote]

Oh I loved that movie. I saw that in college, one of several foriegn films that I and my buddies ate up in the late 70s. That was a favorite of ours (along with King of Hearts, My Life as a Dog and A Little Romance). Doubt its aged at all, well worth watching.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Tue August 24th, 2010, 4:39 am

Foreign films.....Been going to see them for years...back in the day they were the perfect date film....Local Coffee House where you could discuss the film etc....Today's films (not all) but many are mindless tripe......to name a few favorites FF's "Jules and Jim...The Bicycle Thief...Wild Strawberries...Virgin Spring....Cinema Paradiso...Babette's Feast....Knife in the Water....8.5 ".....and on and on....Thank God for Netflix....

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue August 24th, 2010, 11:35 am

[quote=""chuck""]Watched Kenneth Branagh in "Wallander" excellent.....disturbing story of a Swedish detective trying to solve a creepy murderer.....He is such a terrific actor....BTW Southern Sweden and the pristine scenes of the Baltic Sea are beautiful......Quite a interesting contrast when compared to the nasty plot....[/quote]

yes these are excellent, KB won the BAFTA for his performance. It's also been filmed in Swedish (with a Swedish cast), not sure if it's been shown in the US but BBC4 (a digital channel) shows it in the UK, so if you have BBC4 then you may be able to see it. Not sure if it's available outside the UK though :rolleyes: Haven't seen them myself but apparently they're even better than the Enlish language version.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue August 24th, 2010, 4:35 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""] not sure if it's been shown in the US but BBC4 (a digital channel) shows it in the UK, so if you have BBC4 then you may be able to see it. Not sure if it's available outside the UK though. [/quote]

The first season was shown on PBS in the US as part of the Masterpiece Mystery series. I checked and it's available on Netflix. I haven't seen the second season yet, but loved Branaugh's performance in the first. I'll be looking forward to the second!

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue August 24th, 2010, 4:45 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Oh I loved that movie. I saw that in college, one of several foriegn films that I and my buddies ate up in the late 70s. That was a favorite of ours (along with King of Hearts, My Life as a Dog and A Little Romance). Doubt its aged at all, well worth watching.[/quote]

It hasn't aged at all. There's a reason these movies are timeless--they touch something at the heart of our humanity: the innocence of children and mad people. The others are all favorites of mine. We rewatched A Little Romance just a couple of years ago with our daughter. I'll have to order King of Hearts from Netflix - it's been far too long!

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”