Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

For the King by Catherine Delors

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Post by Catherine Delors » Thu August 19th, 2010, 6:39 pm

Yes, there were allusions to the death of Roch's mother, but not from typhoid. I even did a search in my full Word file, and "typhoid" didn't come up once.
Sometimes the mind likes to play this sort of tricks... :)

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu August 19th, 2010, 7:39 pm

I must have mixed it up with something in the book I read immediately prior. Too many things -- books -- rattling around in my head, I guess! :o

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu August 19th, 2010, 8:21 pm

Another question -- earlier in this thread you mentioned that you were working on a book about The Beast -- what is that?

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Post by Catherine Delors » Fri August 20th, 2010, 10:06 am

The Beast of Gevaudan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_Gévaudan

Needless to say, I disagree with Wikipedia on the nature of the Beast, though (and many details as well.) ;) As a child I spent all of my summers in that part of France, and grew up hearing about this gory and fascinating story.

So my next novel will be a Gothic...

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri August 20th, 2010, 2:36 pm

That sounds very interesting.... I visited your blog the other day, and saw a mention of the woman who painted portraits, including Marie Antoinette's. I think she would make an interesting subject for a book, as well.

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Post by Catherine Delors » Fri August 20th, 2010, 8:18 pm

Madame Vigee-Lebrun? Oh, yes! An extraordinary life. So many books to write, so little time...

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat August 21st, 2010, 6:46 am

Posted by Catherine Delors
The Beast of Gevaudan
I knew this sounded familiar. it was the basis of the film Brotherhood of the Wolf, wasn't it? A crazy mish-mash of a movie, but I really enjoyed it.

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Post by Catherine Delors » Sun August 22nd, 2010, 3:37 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Catherine Delors

I knew this sounded familiar. it was the basis of the film Brotherhood of the Wolf, wasn't it? A crazy mish-mash of a movie, but I really enjoyed it.[/quote]

Indeed it is, Annis! "Crazy mish-mash" is a kind assessment of the film (heavy doses Hong-Kong style fighting scenes+ a smattering of Enlightenment+some gore and guts, how's that for a mix?) But I agree that it is entertaining in a sort of perverse way. :) Very disingenuous in its presentation of the facts, in particular with regard to social class issues. The man who did kill in fact the Beast in the true story is such a minor character that he is little more than an extra. No wonder, he was a lowly peasant, therefore of no interest to the filmmakers. They reestablish the "normal" order of things by having a -fictional- nobleman kill the Beast.

I need to write a full review of the thing...

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Sun August 22nd, 2010, 5:26 pm

[quote=""Catherine Delors""]The Beast of Gevaudan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_Gévaudan

Needless to say, I disagree with Wikipedia on the nature of the Beast, though (and many details as well.) ;) As a child I spent all of my summers in that part of France, and grew up hearing about this gory and fascinating story.

So my next novel will be a Gothic...[/quote]

Oh, Catherine, how totally fascinating! I've always been fascinated by the Beast--and all the other similar stories from that part of the world. Can you tell us more about the book, or is it too early to share details?

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Post by Catherine Delors » Sun August 22nd, 2010, 6:57 pm

[quote=""Anna Elliott""]Oh, Catherine, how totally fascinating! I've always been fascinated by the Beast--and all the other similar stories from that part of the world. Can you tell us more about the book, or is it too early to share details?[/quote]

Thanks, Anna! What I can tell you already: it is a prequel to Mistress of the Revolution. The central character is Helene de Montserrat, Gabrielle's elder sister, then a girl of fifteen. Gabrielle is not born yet, but her brother and mother are already there. The baddies of the Beast story play a major role as well: Jean Chastel, who will eventually kill the Beast, the Comte de Morangies. Also a little peasant girl whose fate will determine the outcome of the story (historical fact).

Return to “Book Buddies”