Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

August 2010, what are you reading

Retired Threads
Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Thu August 19th, 2010, 11:28 pm

Now on to reading The Edwardians, by Vita Sackville-West.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri August 20th, 2010, 12:08 am

Was planning on starting The Red Queen this evening, but Gabrielle Kimm sent me a copy of His Last Duchess that arrived today and so I think I will read that one instead!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri August 20th, 2010, 12:59 am

Captivity by Deborah Noyes
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Fri August 20th, 2010, 4:22 am

[quote=""Leo62""]Just started To Defy A King by a little-known HF author by the name of Elizabeth Chadwick. ;) :D

Been waiting ages to get my hands on this one![/quote]

You will enjoy this novel...I'm just a few pages from the end. ;)
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Fri August 20th, 2010, 8:57 am

[quote=""Berengaria""]You will enjoy this novel...I'm just a few pages from the end. ;) [/quote]
I know - been looking forward to reading it for ages!
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat August 21st, 2010, 2:28 am

Finished up Rubicon: The Last Years of the Roman Republic by Tom Holland. It's nonfiction, and pretty much covers the same ground as Colleen McCullough in her Masters of Rome series. It's NF, and very well done, helping to put a lot of the missing bits from MoR and putting it all into context. Not that long either, a bit under 500 pages with the narrative and extra stuff.

Not quite sure what's next. But it will be fiction. Probably Anna by Cecilia Harrod-Eagles.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sat August 21st, 2010, 7:27 am

Finished La conjecture de Fermat by Jean d'Aillon a +500 pages mystery novel. Bad translation as usual. The author demonstrates a huge knowlodge of Paris in 1643 (who was dueling who where and why, who lived where...) but really, I could have done without so many details, without knowing the name of every ancestor, neighbor, and cook's size shoe of every new person appearing even briefly in the book. Very distracting and confusing. Loved the little street tunes though. The book only picks up after page 350 or so.

I have started The Bell at Sealey Head by Patricia A. McKillip. I needed something light :D
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sat August 21st, 2010, 7:43 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]
Not quite sure what's next. But it will be fiction. Probably Anna by Cecilia Harrod-Eagles.[/quote]

I finished Anna earlier this week and absolutely loved it. I really really want to go on a trip to Russia now!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat August 21st, 2010, 7:55 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""]I finished Anna earlier this week and absolutely loved it. I really really want to go on a trip to Russia now![/quote]

Let's go...

I loved this trilogy, such a gret combo of history and romance. Fleur is a bit different with the twist at the end.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun August 22nd, 2010, 7:57 pm

I'm about to start The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Archives”