Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Calais by Kathleen Winsor

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Finished

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue August 10th, 2010, 5:33 pm

Yes I'm done - but I'm going to hold back what I have to say about the ending until you are finished.

However, I couldn't let this, on page 701, pass without comment:
The girl singer held the microphone lovingly, as if it were a penis
Read it at lunch and almost spat my coffee out.
and whispered to it her message of bitter humor and betrayal.
As one does whisper to a penis. Honestly, I think the editor had fallen asleep by this point. The last third of the book desperately needed a blue pencil.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 10th, 2010, 6:10 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Yes I'm done - but I'm going to hold back what I have to say about the ending until you are finished.

However, I couldn't let this, on page 701, pass without comment:

Read it at lunch and almost spat my coffee out.

As one does whisper to a penis. Honestly, I think the editor had fallen asleep by this point. The last third of the book desperately needed a blue pencil.[/quote]

Ack. Let's see how I do.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Thu August 12th, 2010, 1:05 am

Nothing to do with the book, but this is a photo of KW at home, preparing for a dinner party in 1954.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=JFME ... ore&f=true

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu August 12th, 2010, 1:54 am

My, what a dress. How did they keep those on? I am sorely tempted to waste the county's resources and reloot Wanderers Eastward WW just so I can scan the glam shot on the back.

I've had a crappy day and can't pick this one back up. Probably a mistake but I will finish eventually.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Thu August 12th, 2010, 2:24 am

[quote=""Misfit""]My, what a dress. How did they keep those on? I am sorely tempted to waste the county's resources and reloot Wanderers Eastward WW just so I can scan the glam shot on the back.[/quote]

Oh do - I would LOVE to see it!

ETA: dresses like that used to be described as "of the willpower variety" meaning only willpower kept them up. I'm not sure if it's fur round the neckline - anyway, it's gorgeous.

The funny thing about that photo, it's from LIFE magazine, and a later issue had a sour-grapes letter from a reader saying as follows:
Miss Kathleen Winsor would do well to note that the hostess should not wear striking colors and ought to show more restraint in the choice of decollete dresses. Above all she should refrain from wearing conspicuous jewelry such as Miss Winsor's earrings. The rules of good taste demand that the hostess avoid any possible source of embarrassment to her guests. After all, the guests should glitter, not the hostess.
What utter rubbish - the hostess sets the tone for the evening and if it says black tie on the invitation, that's what she wears - otherwise she does run the risk of embarrassing the guests who turn up dressed to the nines to find that she's dressed down. I didn't even notice the earrings till I read that letter - do you think the writer was jealous much?!
I've had a crappy day and can't pick this one back up. Probably a mistake but I will finish eventually.
Sorry about your crappy day! Maybe Marianne is more what you need.
Last edited by Miss Moppet on Thu August 12th, 2010, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu August 12th, 2010, 2:46 am

Sorry about your crappy day! Maybe Marianne is more what you need.
It is definitely taking the sting out of it. I am placing the hold on WEWW but I feel guilty as hell just to scan the glam shot ;)

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Thu August 12th, 2010, 3:48 am

[quote=""Misfit""]It is definitely taking the sting out of it. I am placing the hold on WEWW but I feel guilty as hell just to scan the glam shot ;) [/quote]

Yay! No, don't feel bad, we have to have the glam shot. :)

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu August 12th, 2010, 5:01 am

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Nothing to do with the book, but this is a photo of KW at home, preparing for a dinner party in 1954.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=JFME ... ore&f=true[/quote]
She looks like a Scarlett O'Hara wannabe. :D

Those strapless dresses were usually held up by means of lightweight boning (made of plastic, not actual bone anymore) sewn into the seams. Although, that one doesn't really look like it has any boning. So maybe it was just strictly willpower holding it up. :)
Last edited by Michy on Thu August 12th, 2010, 5:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat August 14th, 2010, 5:59 pm

As one does whisper to a penis. Honestly, I think the editor had fallen asleep by this point. The last third of the book desperately needed a blue pencil.
Yes indeedy. Skimming quite a bit, the behind the scenes looks are getting old, as well as Arlette's parade of lovers. Where did this twu wuv with Micah come from? Seems more like hot animal sex attraction to me.

I am sooooooo surprised (not) that we're doing Anthony and Cleopatra. What a coincidence. Wonder if it will be a big flop just like you know who.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sat August 14th, 2010, 6:24 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Yes indeedy. Skimming quite a bit, the behind the scenes looks are getting old, as well as Arlette's parade of lovers. Where did this twu wuv with Micah come from? Seems more like hot animal sex attraction to me.[/quote]

You're not wrong. Arlette and Micah never get past the 'wow, he can make bearnaise sauce' stage. But it's portrayed as the romance of the century. I just was not convinced.
Misfit wrote:I am sooooooo surprised (not) that we're doing Anthony and Cleopatra. What a coincidence. Wonder if it will be a big flop just like you know who.
Actually, if it was, that might be interesting. But NOTHING Arlette and Anthony do is a flop. They go from great success to greater success. Not only it is unrealistic - even the biggest stars have flops - it takes away any kind of tension.

Return to “Book Buddies”