Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

August 2010, what are you reading

Retired Threads
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri August 6th, 2010, 6:08 am

I've finished "The Boy in the Box: The Unsolved Case of America's Unknown Child" by David Stout (256pgs, 2008). On Feb 25, 1957, the corpse of a nude, badly bruised body of a young boy was found in a box in woods north of Philadelphia. The boy still does not have a name, the crime is still unsolved. Sad story, well written.

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Fri August 6th, 2010, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Fri August 6th, 2010, 9:20 am

Thanks Michy, I've been eyeing it on my TBR pile ever since I read what you've written about 'Dawn's Early Light', so I think I'll move it up to the top :)

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri August 6th, 2010, 3:42 pm

Reading something a little different for me - Imperial Highness by Evelyn Anthony which is the first book in a trilogy about Catherine the Great.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri August 6th, 2010, 3:55 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""]Thanks Michy, I've been eyeing it on my TBR pile ever since I read what you've written about 'Dawn's Early Light', so I think I'll move it up to the top :) [/quote]
I'm really enjoying it so far. There's just something about Thane's writing style that I really like. Yankee Stranger is all about the American Civil War.

Kate Quinn
Scribbler

Post by Kate Quinn » Fri August 6th, 2010, 4:24 pm

Next on my list is "Poison" by Sarah Poole - I've had my eye on this one for a while. All about a poisoner in the Renaissance; I liked the idea of an unabashedly amoral heroine.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Fri August 6th, 2010, 5:23 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Reading something a little different for me - Imperial Highness by Evelyn Anthony which is the first book in a trilogy about Catherine the Great.[/quote]

How funny Tanzanite, I borrowed this one off my mum to add to my mountain of a TBR pile only this morning! :)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri August 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm

After the djebellah-and-dagger action of Scott Oden's Lion of Cairo, I'm going for some romance with Marina Fiorato's second novel set in Renaissance Italy, Madonna of the Almonds. Unlike her other two, this one appears to be a straight historical novel rather than a past/present mix

"Set in Lombardy, specifically Saronno - home to the famous liqueur Amaretto, and the story behind the creation of that exotic tipple is the inspiration for the novel. In the early 1500s a church in Saronno commissioned frescoes from one of Leonardo Da Vinci's students - Bernardino Luini. Luini needed a model for the Madonna and a young widowed innkeeper posed for him - and became his lover. To thank him, she created Amaretto from apricot kernels steeped in brandy, and the legend was born".

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat August 7th, 2010, 9:58 am

I'll be starting The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf today (hopefully). I've been following the TV Book Club (a programme in the UK) series of books and this is the last one. I've been enjoying reading along.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sat August 7th, 2010, 1:44 pm

Finally got my hands on a copy of The Casebook of Victor Frankenstein by Peter Ackroyd, so that's up next.
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Sat August 7th, 2010, 6:00 pm

[quote=""EC2""]I DNF The White Queen. My favourite Gregory so far is A Respectable Trade.
[/quote]

Mine too. Infact I often forget she wrote it when I think of the likes of "Wideacre" and "The Queen's Fool" :eek:
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

Return to “Archives”