Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

God Save the Queen

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 5:38 pm

I think the love story between Charles and Camilla is actually really sweet! They've been in love since they were young but were unable to marry because of an antiquated monarchial tradition. And we all see what came of that!! And frankly, if the love of my life loved me back and was unable to marry me and instead had to marry a gorgeous saintly woman who the whole world fawned over, meanwhile I was demonized and hated, I'd be pretty pi$$ed off too!! If she had been beautiful and dressed in fabulous jewels and ballgowns the world would be thinking of it as a fairytale come true! I'm just glad that at least they ended up together in the end...even if it wasn't the rest of the world's idea of a happy ending!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 5:51 pm

Still can't like her Lila, sorry.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 6:42 pm

I received this same email from a friend of mine last week and I replied to her that, technically, England is entitled to only the 13 original colonies/states and that France should take back the Louisiana Purchase while Mexico takes back Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California and Nevada. Anything left over Canada can have if they want it. Now that I think on it, Spain might be entitled to Florida. :D

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 6:43 pm

Oooh ooh can WA State become part of Canada?!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 7:03 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]I received this same email from a friend of mine last week and I replied to her that, technically, England is entitled to only the 13 original colonies/states and that France should take back the Louisiana Purchase while Mexico takes back Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California and Nevada. Anything left over Canada can have if they want it. Now that I think on it, Spain might be entitled to Florida. :D [/quote]

That's brilliant! Woohoo, I'll be on a Mexican vacation forever! :D
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 7:14 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]technically, England is entitled to only the 13 original colonies/states and that France should take back the Louisiana Purchase while Mexico takes back Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California and Nevada.[/quote]

The Native Americans don't get a shot at land reclamation, then? Some of the eastern tribal leaders were given titles by the English - but these were stripped after the American Revolution. I bet their descendents would be asking for those titles back should QEII make good her proclamation!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 8:04 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Oooh ooh can WA State become part of Canada?!

SM[/quote]

Didn't we almost become that? Look up the Pig's War on wik.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 8:38 pm

[quote=""Leyland""]The Native Americans don't get a shot at land reclamation, then? Some of the eastern tribal leaders were given titles by the English - but these were stripped after the American Revolution. I bet their descendents would be asking for those titles back should QEII make good her proclamation![/quote]

If Queen Elizabeth is making this claim, then yes, otherwise everyone should leave and the Natives can live in peace again.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Fri October 3rd, 2008, 6:02 am

LOL, good stuff !!
I received it too in my e-mail some time ago.

amyb
Reader

Post by amyb » Fri October 3rd, 2008, 12:55 pm

That is hysterical - I love #13!!!

Return to “Chat”