Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Pillars of the Earth on Starz

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon July 26th, 2010, 9:13 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""] Was Matilda/Stephan conflict upfront and center in the novel, too? It did seem like they were trying to fit in a "royal" angle.[/quote]

No, it was very much in the background. I think they decided that the best way of explaining the historical context was to dramatise it. Good idea in theory, but for me it ended up being a bit of a distraction. Also, they seem to have decided to portray Stephen as the villain and Matilda as the Wronged Woman - the book wasn't anywhere near as black and white as I recall.
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon July 26th, 2010, 11:30 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""][attachment=]385[/attachment]

Barnabas Collins, anyone?[/quote]

Ahem. You are showing your age with that name. That said, I show my age asa well by recognizing it :p
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Tue July 27th, 2010, 12:24 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]I literally read the book so long ago, I don't remember a thing, except that it was about the building of a cathedral. So, I feel as though I'm seeing the story for the first time. Was Matilda/Stephan conflict upfront and center in the novel, too? It did seem like they were trying to fit in a "royal" angle.[/quote]

Heh, funny, that's about what I remembered - and I hadn't recalled Matilda and Stephen appearing in the novel either. I figured I'd forgotten all of that.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue July 27th, 2010, 3:26 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Ahem. You are showing your age with that name. That said, I show my age asa well by recognizing it :p [/quote]

I know. Probably why we like books about old queens :)
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue July 27th, 2010, 3:29 am

[quote=""Ariadne""]Heh, funny, that's about what I remembered - and I hadn't recalled Matilda and Stephen appearing in the novel either. I figured I'd forgotten all of that.[/quote]

Scary how much I don't remember about the book! Leo mentioned the conflict wasn't as upfront or black and white, but I'd never have known otherwise. Guess Pillars is due for a second read, though I don't think I'll ever get around to actually doing it :D
Oh, well. That's what mini-series are for.
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue July 27th, 2010, 3:48 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Ahem. You are showing your age with that name. That said, I show my age asa well by recognizing it :p [/quote]

Oh, me too, I laughed when I saw the post. Actually it wasn't Barnabas that I swooned over. It was Quentin. I do smile when people complain about the vampire fad. It is over done, but I well remember all of my friends in Jr Hi rushing home to one house to watch Dark Shadows! We had the books, the posters, the 45 rpm of Quentin's theme and Barnabas's theme....The fad now is just several times more intense, but the idea is the same.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue July 27th, 2010, 4:14 am

Tim Burton has optioned re-doing Dark Shadows as a feature film, so we're not quite as dated as we think! And while I won't get Rufus as Barnabas, guess who's up for the role? (Yes, I can hear your delighted shrieking from here :)

Maybe Rufus could play Quentin?
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue July 27th, 2010, 10:34 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]Tim Burton has optioned re-doing Dark Shadows as a feature film, so we're not quite as dated as we think! And while I won't get Rufus as Barnabas, guess who's up for the role? (Yes, I can hear your delighted shrieking from here :)

Maybe Rufus could play Quentin?[/quote]

I've never heard of this show, wonder if it was shown in the UK, although it is a bit before my time! ;)

Edited to say that I've just looked it up on imdb, and it was re-made in 1991.
Last edited by Madeleine on Tue July 27th, 2010, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue July 27th, 2010, 11:57 am

[quote=""EC2""]I can look at Rufus Sewell for a while and think him beautiful, but slowly the eyes begin to take on too much prominence and I wind up thinking of an owl. So I think he's very gorgeous - but in small doses! LOL![/quote]

I am going to have to go back and watch Charles II again. I gave up when it was on TV because I thought it was so bad (and it is my period of history, too). Maybe I was wrong. As far as Rufus is concerned, I have never forgiven him for murdering my favourite play (the Scottish one) on stage. Hence, I am not sure he can act. I would mention that I am also not sure about Robert Redford but have come to the conclusion that with him I don't care....but with Rufus, I do. Although I seem to remember not minding him in Middlemarch many moons ago which was about the time I got fed up with the BBC's choices for the classics. I really really want them (or Kenneth) to do a production of 'Tis Pity but I don't think that is going to happen.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue July 27th, 2010, 4:36 pm

[quote=""Leo62""]No, it was very much in the background. I think they decided that the best way of explaining the historical context was to dramatise it. Good idea in theory, but for me it ended up being a bit of a distraction. Also, they seem to have decided to portray Stephen as the villain and Matilda as the Wronged Woman - the book wasn't anywhere near as black and white as I recall.[/quote]

I think the girl they cast is Matilda is to sweet looking with a bit of a baby face - I can't really see her as an arrogant, haughty woman.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”