Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Red Queen

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed July 21st, 2010, 10:39 pm

You'll have to let us know if it's any good!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri July 23rd, 2010, 8:25 pm

Those of you who are Goodreads members this just popped up with a giveaway.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

robinbird79
Avid Reader

Post by robinbird79 » Fri July 23rd, 2010, 9:00 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]Next is Jacquetta Woodville, according to Gregory's site. I think Elizabeth of York is now the fourth novel planned. We may have to establish a chapter of Alcoholics Anonymous for this board if we play a drinking game with the Jacquetta novel, for I foresee no end of Melusine.[/quote]

AH...so its going to be more than 3 novels. For some reason I had the idea that the series was only going to be 3 books. Any idea how many she plans on doing in the Cousins' War series?
Currently Reading: Crown in Candlelight, R. H. Jarmen

http://almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri July 23rd, 2010, 9:07 pm

[quote=""robinbird79""]AH...so its going to be more than 3 novels. For some reason I had the idea that the series was only going to be 3 books. Any idea how many she plans on doing in the Cousins' War series?[/quote]

I vaguely recall hearing six. I think there's going to be one about Anne and Isobel Neville.

Ah, here we go. From PG's website:
But Gregory has no plans to stop there; she is already planning a novel on Woodville’s daughter, who becomes Henry VII’s wife—bringing together the families of the White and Red Queens—and the two daughters of the “Kingmaker” the Earl of Warwick. “There will certainly be six novels, but there might be seven or eight,” she says. “I can’t predict how many other people will come to me—that is the real joy of doing research and being able to to respond to it. I’m not bound to any contract, so I am really going where my inspiration will take me.”
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun July 25th, 2010, 3:28 pm

OK, face palm moment here and probably the last to realize it, but I've figured out that lacy flowery stuff on the covers - either the White or the Red rose of the two families.

robinbird79
Avid Reader

Post by robinbird79 » Mon July 26th, 2010, 7:35 pm

The "I am really going where my inspiration takes me" is a bit worrisome.
Currently Reading: Crown in Candlelight, R. H. Jarmen

http://almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com

Berengaria
Avid Reader

The Red Queen...where my post should have gone!

Post by Berengaria » Thu July 29th, 2010, 9:41 pm

I am still navigating my way around this forum, and put in a post in books for 2010. I just received this new book and hope it is better than The White Queen. I didn't like the Melusine references, but did like the ending. I just finished Margaret Campbell Barnes The Tudor Rose, which features Margaret Beaufort. Elizabeth of York likes her in this book, but in Sandra Worth's.. gosh, I forget the title...the lady is more malevolent. It will be interesting to see how she's portrayed in this book!
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu July 29th, 2010, 9:55 pm

[quote=""Berengaria""]I am still navigating my way around this forum, and put in a post in books for 2010. I just received this new book and hope it is better than The White Queen. I didn't like the Melusine references, but did like the ending. I just finished Margaret Campbell Barnes The Tudor Rose, which features Margaret Beaufort. Elizabeth of York likes her in this book, but in Sandra Worth's.. gosh, I forget the title...the lady is more malevolent. It will be interesting to see how she's portrayed in this book![/quote]

Do check back in when you are further along. A whole lot less Melusine sightings in this one - a good thing that.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu July 29th, 2010, 10:54 pm

[quote=""Berengaria""]I am still navigating my way around this forum, and put in a post in books for 2010. I just received this new book and hope it is better than The White Queen. I didn't like the Melusine references, but did like the ending. I just finished Margaret Campbell Barnes The Tudor Rose, which features Margaret Beaufort. Elizabeth of York likes her in this book, but in Sandra Worth's.. gosh, I forget the title...the lady is more malevolent. It will be interesting to see how she's portrayed in this book![/quote]

Did you get a review copy, or is it already shipping?
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Sandra Worth's book name

Post by Berengaria » Thu July 29th, 2010, 11:31 pm

It's called The King's Daughter. I am pleased to hear that Gregory is writing more books about this time period!! :)
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Return to “Philippa Gregory”